• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF 9800pro core wont oc?~!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bRiCe

My ram hits speeds of like 380mhz but i had my core at 400 with stock cooling max without fragments. I mounted a huge copper hs and now it hits like 416 without fragmenting, but then i get dots in 3dmark03. Is there something im missing here? Its not gettnig hot or anything

Unfortunately it is luck of the draw. The first R9800 Pro I bought would only do 405 on the core before artifacting. I sold that one and bought another that will hit 490 on the core before artifacting. You could try a volt mod. That will probably net you another 15-20 MHz on the core. Good luck.

u think that the hs could be not making such good contact with the core? I didnt do anything bout the shim. I was thinking of putting a ridge in the heatsink to make sure it is making good contact. What do u guys think? this is my radeon setup (without the ramsinks)

Sorry, but 380 is too high for the memory.

Thats why your getting the dots. Memory is too high. It seems that on alot of the 9800p cards the memory has alot to do with how high the cards core will go. I have found that turning down the memory and bumping up the core to stable max gives me MUCH better and higher performance. Its about 3% better with core clocked more than memory percentage wise.

Just a thought, but from what you said, That is your problem.

Only other thing you can try is a Bios flash that has better timeings for the ram. It helped my OC quite a bit, that and the arctic cooler i put on it. I can hit 440 core easy, but choose not to.

GL

Harry

dots are because of the core..... large geometric shapes are what i get with the ram too high.

Dude im telling you

White dots are Memory. Everyone i know who get them in the water on game test 4 in 2003 Say that when they back off memory they go away. With core i usually get tearing, and ghosting type artifacts. Plus Blocky Flashes.

Im telling ya, 380 is too high. I can only go 370 memory before i get that kind of dots. I run at around 367 memory, and that allows me to get core up to 440 without problems. IF i pump up the memory with the 440 core i get the white dots.

Before the bios flash my core would only go 411 without artifacts, and that was with a 358 memory OC.

Harry

Hmm. 380 isn't too high for everyone (memory), I have my 9800 pro OC'ed @ 475/412 no mods, just watercooled gpu and ramsinks epoxyed on. But if I go any higher on the ram, then I get the white dots, but only during benchmarking. So I just run at 475/412 all the time.

I used the ATi overclocking wizard and let it run on the memory overnight and it found its sweet spot was 410. But I don't see any difference between 410 and 412

the white dots are from the memory dood.... im telling u..... i ran tests with the core at default and memory at default and then with high oc's on each seperatly, so i know what gives what type of artifacts.

hmmm i was thinking of dremeling a little groove in the heatsink where the shim is and see if it is a problem with the hs making contact with the core of the gpu. THe heatsink isnt getting even WARM too the touch on it..... but then again its pretty beasty. The back of the card isnt getting hot tho either, which i noticed my gf3ti500 did before i took off the horrible cooling it had on it. The core has to produce a lot of heat, because the olld hs would get really hot. I would guess it was around 100* F. I thot that the fact that the heatsink was heating up was the problem with my oc, but now i just think i may have a scrubsta card.

I dont know anything about video bios or flashing it or anything..... any suggestions on that? I can only imagine that the memory timings wouldnt be as tight, allowing a higher memory oc, but i cant see how that helps me. My memory runs great on this card adn i couldnt be happier with it...... so what should i do?

Rice,

I think your OC is great. Right now im running 425/36? havent checked lately, And ill trll you, The card is a beast. It runs EVERY game i throw at it @1280x1024x32 with ALL eyecandy on, Like a beast. At stock it even ran like mad. So, its just your preference what you want to run it at.

One thing i did find that helped with FPS was loosening my timeings on my system ram one notch down. It gave me a good 500 mark boost in Benches and It also gave me about 5% more fps in games.

thats abput all i have for ya

GL

harry

Before the bios flash my core would only go 411 without artifacts, and that was with a 358 memory OC.

Hey Harryinny3, what bios are you using? Where could I get it?

Im useing the

Gigacube bios dated 8/19/2003 i think. You can goto rage3d and ask for MJ, Post for him. Give him the exact numbers off your ram, and he will send you an AUTO flash utility, with 2 bios each with different clocks on it. Making your card Hard clocked. My defaults on this is 398/358. Pretty cool huh? The auto flash utility he sends couldnt be any simpler. Its a good thing.

Harry

Back