• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic-cooling's VGA Silencer and my Asus p4c800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FattyMcNastyXK

Bambam's soldier
I just got a VGA Silencer (Rev2) for my Sapphire 9600 Pro Extreme Edition and am using the Asus p4c800-e deluxe mobo. When i put the vga cooler on the card, and try to put it on the mobo, it won't go down all the way. I found that the problem is the 2nd pci slot, its getting in the way like 1mm and i can't make it go around. What's on the slot is a strip of heatsink that's not flush with the rest of it. I wonder if i could sand it down, but if it doesn't work, i don't want to make it so that i can't send it back or sell it.

File down the side of the PCI slot? If its 1mm it shouldn;t hurt it I wouldn't think. Although that isn't a particularly elegant solution, I doubt you were going to use that slot anyway.

no i wasn't and i don't use any pci slots, atm. I meant, file down the edge of heatsink that is hitting the pci slot. Its the length of the cooler and sticks out from the main part of the hs 3mm and is 2mm thick. Even though alluminum, it might take some effort to sand it down, though it can be done. I'm going for it.

i took my dremel to itand lowered the edge to the plastic cover. I think it's gonna work. I don't want to put it on atm because if it doesn't work, putting back on my old sapphire heatpipe hs was a pain in the ***. I'll update in a couple of hours.

i had this same problem too with epox 8rda+, i did the same thing you did, dremeled metal down to plastic part, obviously i took off the plastic first. it works fine, no increase or decrease in temps either..

haha, if it didn't work before you shaved off the metal then how do you know there was no temp change!? Haha, jk. Thats good to know, i havn't tried it out yet. I didn't want to go through the trouble of taking the plastic. I did leave a long sanding mark but its ok.

Back