• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2k error message when tyring to oc 1ghz pIII

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mateo310

I just bought a 1ghz pIII for my ASUS CUV4X a day ago, I first tried overclocking the fsb to 140mhz, giving me a 1050mhz processor. Win2k Pro booted up fine, everything worked fine at that speed.

I then tried the fsb at 150mhz, it read a 1125mhz processor on postup and seemed to boot normally until it got to windows. When the first "windows is starting up" black screen appeared, it did not load. All I got was the following error message.

Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
<windows 2000 root>\system32
toskrnl.exe
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

This only happens when I overclock the fsb to 150. I set it back at 140 after this and everything worked fine.

Could someone help me out and tell me what is going on?[img="http://"]

Your system is unstable. It can be several things including CPU Temp, peripherals, Memory, etc. The way to debug this is to take it one step at a time. You should always check CPU temps first. If your chip is running too hot, you should opt for better cooling before anything else. Make sure your memory is stable at 150 Mhz (try docmemory at tweakfiles.com to check it). If not, you may want to change the memory timings to be a bit slower (note this will drop the speed of the whole system because of lower memory throughput). If you are sure your processor is cool and memory is stable, check your video card. If it is an older AGP card it may not be able to handle the higher AGP bus speed. You may want to try running it at 1X and disble fast writes / sidebanding. Also check your PCI bus divider .. try to run the PCI bus as close to 33 mhz as possible. Some PCI cards don't like to be run too far out of spec.
Another thing to try is upping the CPU core voltage (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD COOLING BEFORE YOU DO THIS). More voltage=more heat. Intel CPUs (PIII coppermine at least) generally run stock at 1.65-1.75v. If you increase at small intervals, perhaps burning in each time, it might help (I wouldn't go above 2v). AGAIN, COOLING FIRST! (My system is unstable if the CPU gets over 130 F under load).

Good Luck,
Dave

p.s. Note that docmemory creates a bootable floppy to test your memory in dos mode. I am not sure if the part of docmemory that creates the disk will run on 2000 .. you may need win 9x or Me to create the disk.

These errors are the things that stop an overclock from being successful. Until you get past it, which you may never, you will not be able to run at that speed. Drop the bus speed and work on better cooling or other suggestions already made.

As long as your temps are below 35C raise your CV to CPU to 1.8 and check temps again if it boots at 150fsb if 1.8 will not do it try 1.9 if that will not do it then turn it back down to 1.75 and as the above post said turn your memory down, look for your setting's in BIOS and set it to minus clock speed. Also set it to cas 3 and this may help. one note at this point we are just throwing blind ideas into the wind we really need to know your system specs, CPU is it cco or cbo, your memory is it 133 cas 2 or 3 what brand? what kind of hard drive do you have? any NIC cards? I highly recommend that you read through the tips section in the front if you really want to get into overclocking, there can be more to this then raising FSB and CV your PC will thank you later.

goodluck

Back