• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are the Stock Speeds of an FX5600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fac_29

After reading a few things on here i'm getting confused, some ppl are saying 300/400 yet other things i've read say 325/600 and yet my MSI FX5600 TD256 is different again :confused:

Is that right for the Ultra(rev1). Mines a better Memory Clock than that and its a non ultra...

Just read somewhere else someone post 400/800 for a FX5600 rev2! Surely thats not right???

Whats a realistic(or best) overclock i can expect to get from my FX5600? Just been experimenting and got some ok results and it looks like i should be able to push it even further. Its the MSI Version, are they the best? On the box it says its won a Toms Hardware Award for the Fan(most quiet) and the Cooling and for the c/p value. Whats c/p value?

Last edited:
fac_29 said:
Is that right for the Ultra(rev1). Mines a better Memory Clock than that and its a non ultra...

Just read somewhere else someone post 400/800 for a FX5600 rev2! Surely thats not right???

Whats a realistic(or best) overclock i can expect to get from my FX5600? Just been experimenting and got some ok results and it looks like i should be able to push it even further. Its the MSI Version, are they the best? On the box it says its won a Toms Hardware Award for the Fan(most quiet) and the Cooling and for the c/p value. Whats c/p value?

The 5600u rev2 is surely right at 400/800.
I know ive had 2.

Thanks Well my Standard Stock on my FX5600 is 350/400 :confused: Is it a rev2 or something then? I have only just bought it. I live in the UK and it cost me, what, $100 in your money for an MSI boxed full retail version. Man, wish i could have got an Ultra Version for just an extra $20...I'm building a system for a friend so i may just sell him the FX5600 and upgrade to Ultra. FX5600 will be more than enough for what he wants.
Oh and sorry i was thinkin you meant a rev2 non ultra FX5600 was 400/800. I was beginning to think i'd been severely ripped...

Last edited:
fac_29 said:
Thanks Well my Standard Stock on my FX5600 is 350/400 :confused: Is it a rev2 or something then? I have only just bought it. I live in the UK and it cost me, what, $100 in your money for an MSI boxed full retail version. Man, wish i could have got an Ultra Version for just an extra $20...I'm building a system for a friend so i may just sell him the FX5600 and upgrade to Ultra. FX5600 will be more than enough for what he wants.
Oh and sorry i was thinkin you meant a rev2 non ultra FX5600 was 400/800. I was beginning to think i'd been severely ripped...

HeHe it seems the stock speeds on the 5600 non ultra's definitely differ a bit.In fact differ greatly at times. I've heard the extremes of 250-350 core and 350-600 on the memory.

I'm beginning to agree...I think it can get even more confusin when searchin around cuz some ppl refer to their Ultras(Either rev1 or 2) as just FX5600.

Anyway for the games i play at the moment its more than sufficient. Even playing newer titles like Far Cry i havent had any problems, thou i seriously need more System Ram more than anything now. I only got 256Mb Kingston at the mo. I'm on the lookout for the best, mid range 512Mb Ram i can find(at the best price). Been considering Kingston Value Ram thou if i could find better i'll get that...Bein a newbie i aint sure as to what to go for. Corsair is a bit out of my price range.

fac_29 said:
I'm beginning to agree...I think it can get even more confusin when searchin around cuz some ppl refer to their Ultras(Either rev1 or 2) as just FX5600.

Anyway for the games i play at the moment its more than sufficient. Even playing newer titles like Far Cry i havent had any problems, thou i seriously need more System Ram more than anything now. I only got 256Mb Kingston at the mo. I'm on the lookout for the best, mid range 512Mb Ram i can find(at the best price). Been considering Kingston Value Ram thou if i could find better i'll get that...Bein a newbie i aint sure as to what to go for. Corsair is a bit out of my price range.

While surely not the best of the best, kingston valueram is what i use and it overclocks very well. But would have to recommend the pc3200.

Not sure my motherboard will accept PC3200 :( Its only a cheap board. Plus i only got PC2700 in there at the mo, if i stick PC3200 in there it will just clock down to PC2700 anyway.

YellowDart said:
Stock speeds on my 5600 non-ultra 256 ddr are 325/400.

Yellowdart, i suppose having 256mbs would pretty much throw out the need for the agp memery to kick in,so the card must run pretty smooth when tackling details that the gpu can handle right? are u happy with it?

fac_29 said:
Not sure my motherboard will accept PC3200 :( Its only a cheap board. Plus i only got PC2700 in there at the mo, if i stick PC3200 in there it will just clock down to PC2700 anyway.

Sorry,didnt notice the pc2700 u already have so yes ur correct but y not get the 3200 for the future? it wont cause any harm mixing with the 2700.

Yeah i was thinking that and believe it or not PC3200 is cheaper than PC2700 at the moment lol! The strange world of Ram pricing eh :D

I'd prob have to upgrade my motherboard in the future too thou, i'm sure its only PC2700 max even thou its a new board(released September 2003). Its got some very good reviews for a budget board thou, especially for overclocking. It has some weird COP protection to prevent damage from you board overheatin too, it automatically cuts out.

Might sound like a stupid question but could a Bios upgrade make it PC3200 compliant? Or is that restricted by something else? I just downloaded the latest Bios they just released. Aint installed it yet thou, thats something thats new to me too lol.

As for 256Mb, i dont think it makes much difference from what i read(thou i could be wrong), 128Mb is more than enough at the moment. Maybe it will come in useful for games like Doom3 or Half Life maybe? Then again, i read Doom3 would only utilize 80Mb at most but not sure whether thats true or not, i read it in another forum. I bought the 256Mb Card just because at the Comp Fair i bought it from it was only £3 more for the FX5600 256Mb Retail Boxed from one stall than the OEM Version FX5600 128Mb at another stall, and they were the cheapest deals there, and thats at the biggest Comp Fair in the whole of Europe which is on every Saturday not far from where i live.

fac_29 said:
Yeah i was thinking that and believe it or not PC3200 is cheaper than PC2700 at the moment lol! The strange world of Ram pricing eh :D

I'd prob have to upgrade my motherboard in the future too thou, i'm sure its only PC2700 max even thou its a new board(released September 2003). Its got some very good reviews for a budget board thou, especially for overclocking. It has some weird COP protection to prevent damage from you board overheatin too, it automatically cuts out.

Might sound like a stupid question but could a Bios upgrade make it PC3200 compliant? Or is that restricted by something else? I just downloaded the latest Bios they just released. Aint installed it yet thou, thats something thats new to me too lol.

As for 256Mb, i dont think it makes much difference from what i read(thou i could be wrong), 128Mb is more than enough at the moment. Maybe it will come in useful for games like Doom3 or Half Life maybe? Then again, i read Doom3 would only utilize 80Mb at most but not sure whether thats true or not, i read it in another forum. I bought the 256Mb Card just because at the Comp Fair i bought it from it was only £3 more for the FX5600 256Mb Retail Boxed from one stall than the OEM Version FX5600 128Mb at another stall, and they were the cheapest deals there, and thats at the biggest Comp Fair in the whole of Europe which is on every Saturday not far from where i live.

No a bios flash cannot change the hardware capabilities,but it could get my old kt266 from agp 4x to 8x.

stratcatprowlin said:

Yellowdart, i suppose having 256mbs would pretty much throw out the need for the agp memery to kick in,so the card must run pretty smooth when tackling details that the gpu can handle right? are u happy with it?

It handles it relatively well... as well as can be expected of a 5600, I guess. ;) I'm not "happy" with my card, but it does the job for now. I'll be picking up an nv40 or r420 this summer (crossing fingers hoping they'll be out by summer). I can run most of my games @ 1024x768 w/ all my application IQ settings on high. The new 56.55 Forceware drivers seem to handle the textures much better than the 53.03 drivers did. All-in-all, I like the quality I get, but I just want MORE of it, and more muscle in my 3d apps, so I'll end up going w/ a high-end card sooner or later.

Although I have yet to test my card against the 128mb version of a 5600 non ultra (w/ the same clock speeds, 325/400) to see if there is really a noticable difference in performance.

Back