• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two P3 700's...?? Which is better...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seaman

I heard about SLOT1 and FCPGA p3-700...

Now, what to choose... IS THERE A SLOT1 version?
Is it better, or worse... Please help, I will have to decide tommorow...

P.S. Are there other versions of p3700, too?? geezz...

There are both versions available, although, the slot 1 chip has been discontinued, and the flip chip has also techincally been, but the 933EB is still being made, I believe. (a 700E O/Ced to 133 FSB = a 933EB).

IF I had a choice, I'd go with a FC-PGA, mount it in a good quality Coppermine compatable slocket, plunk a PEP66T on top of it (w/ Arctic Silver in between, of course), and plug the whole lot into an Abit SH6 motherboard.....*dreaming.......*

Ok, well, I'd still go for the FC-PGA in a good slocket. You'll have more vcore settings available to you that way. That PEP66T will keep it plenty cool. The SH6 might be my next mobo..... *dreaming.....*

Right. Sorry 'bout that. I'm running a slot 1 P/// 600E, and though it's O/Cing well, I'd still like to have a few more vcore options than I do.

My $.02

Mr B

wild_andy_c (Jul 04, 2001 01:59 p.m.):
My $0.02 herewith

Think re-sale value. FCPGA will be saleable to more folks than Slot-1. Choose from therein!!!!

Good point, Andy. Didn't even think about that. =)

Yet another reason to go for the FC-PGA.....

Mr B

thx for replies, but i still don't know which is better for OC... Which has more problems with heat?
btw i have old abit bx6r2

A Slot1 Coppermine is essentially a FC-PGA one mounted on it's own slocket. If you buy a quality slocket there are going to be no differences.

Buying a FC-PGA + Slocket should be a bit more expensive then a Slot1 chip, but you would get more voltage options and therefore a better overclock.
It also gives you the possibility to reuse the chip if you upgrade your motherboard for a FC-PGA one or to resell the chip+slocket since it will work on any board, no matter if it's FC-PGA or Slot1.
It's also easier to mount modern heatsinks, cause the slocket has socket clamps. You can also adapt a slot heatsink, because most slockets have holes for mounting screws.

I see no point in buying a Slot1 model.

But PLEASE buy a DECENT slocket. Or you'll end up like me, with a unstable system and no overclocking options.

Back