• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I stabilize a 100 MZ FSB PIII 800 Slot 1 at 133MZ FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hybridspecies

I can get the PIII 800 to run flawlessly at 124MHZ, but when I increase FSB to 133MHX Windows98SE fails to boot with the message "Windows Protection Error - Please reboot your computer." I disabled cache in the bios and was able to boot Windows after that, but performance was exceptionally slow. I am using an ASUS P2B-F motherboard without the ability to tweak cpu voltage. Is there a good way to provide extra cooling for the cache on the PIII? I am currently using a tennmax stf cooler. thanks.

i would suggest a higher core voltage or better cooling

can you post your stats?
HSF
Memory
Components

It's a "catch 22" because he needs a slight boost in voltage, but the mobo does not allow adjustment.

Endeavor (Jul 07, 2001 01:37 p.m.):
i would suggest a higher core voltage or better cooling

can you post your stats?
HSF
Memory
Components

Thanks,

please recommend a good cooling system that also cools the cache (alpha?)

TennMax P3 STF Cooler Dual 17cfm
128 Meg HSDRAM PC133
ASUS P2B-F (BX)
PIII 800 Slot 1 100Mhz P6C CPU-ID 0686
Leadtek GeForce2 GTS Pro 32DDR
Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Adapter
2 IBM 18LZX SCSI Harddrives
Soundblaster 64AWE ISA
3COM PCI 10/100 Ethernet
Pinnacle DC30 Plus PCI Video Capture
Peripherals - HP 6200C Scanner, HP Laserjet 2100, Fujitsu DSL Modem, Fujitsu Keyboard, MS Mouse, USR 56K PNP external modem.

batboy (Jul 07, 2001 02:36 p.m.):
It's a "catch 22" because he needs a slight boost in voltage, but the mobo does not allow adjustment.

Thanks,

what motherboard do you suggest that will allow me to reuse all components, but has the flexibility to raise voltage (through software preferably).

CPU core voltage is currently at 1.62v.

1.62? the PIII can easily take 2 volts, 2.10 if you have good cooling, anything about 2.10 is dangerous

i would up the voltage

hybridspecies (Jul 08, 2001 04:40 p.m.):
batboy (Jul 07, 2001 02:36 p.m.):

Thanks,

what motherboard do you suggest that will allow me to reuse all components, but has the flexibility to raise voltage (through software preferably).

CPU core voltage is currently at 1.62v.

Depending on the stepping of the cpu slot 1 800e cpus usually will not run at 133.
If you want a mobo soyo 6ba+4 is good and the abit sh-6 if you want to go to a 815 chipset.
The best slot heatsink is a alpha P3125.
It would be alot of money thou to put into a dying breed (slot 1) just to find out the cpu wont go any higher.

Thanks again,

the specs on my cpu are:

generation 6
revision 8
stepping 6
stepping mask C0
microcode MU068607
model P6C

does this give any clue that it can do 133fsb? if not, what should i be looking for?

Back