• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burn In of Katmai

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nathan Detroit

Registered
The idea is run a burn in or system stress utility at a speed that is stable with a higher than necessary voltage for x units of time, when finished should be able to run at that stable speed using less voltage, thus ( hopefully ) enabling more o'cing. Correct? Ok for how long should I "burn in" my Katmai?

It all depends, generally several days to a few weeks. However, "burn-in" is more of a breaking in period and works best on new CPUs. I'm assuming that your CPU is not new. But, as long as you don't let it get too hot, you really have nothing to lose.

Thanks, Batboy...
Potentially a few weeks of downtime isn't acceptable. I'll look for other options for that that last 21 mhz of FSB that my mobo supports...

Theres more then one way to burn in your CPU and there should be no down time, you can overclock it as far as it will go work it in the day run Seti through the night and then maybe in a few days to even a month you may get your voltage down, every CPU will burn in at different speeds who knows you may get lucky and in a couple of days you'll get what your after.

goodluck

Well, that's more reasonable. I was concerned that the idea was potentially several weeks of uninterrupted burn in. Is Seti really good enough? I've found that I get a couple of degrees of heat with SiSoft burn in? So is Seti really stressing the CPU as much, or is the difference of what they are doing?

I believe the key here is to work the CPU and put it under load at a higher than default vomtage rather than just running it idle or surfing the internet. Really "stressing" the CPU is not the goal. The name "burn-in" does not mean you want the temps to be elevated, that's why you should either not run it overclocked or just use mild overclocking settings during burn-in..

Nathan Detroit (Jul 08, 2001 02:23 a.m.):
Well, that's more reasonable. I was concerned that the idea was potentially several weeks of uninterrupted burn in. Is Seti really good enough? I've found that I get a couple of degrees of heat with SiSoft burn in? So is Seti really stressing the CPU as much, or is the difference of what they are doing?

Yep Seti put;'s the CPU through enough work to burn in properly, I guess i should have pointed out in my last reply if you do overclock it to the max to burn in [as batboy said] make sure your temps are cool not too hot.

Back