9800PRO questions

I am thinking about getting a 9800 pro now that there only a little over 200$ and upgradeing from my FX5200 and i have a few ?'s

1. How much of a difference is there between the PRO an XT models?

2. How much of a difference would there be between 128mb of ram and 256mb of ram?

3. aproximatly how long will it take for the 9800 to be on the lower end of graphics cards?

thanks for your help

1. Not much. The main difference is the features of hardware temp monitoring, and OverDrive. Many 9800 Pro's these days actually come with an R360 (XT) core instead of an R350 (9800 Pro core), though they dont have the temp sensor and thus dont have the OverDrive feature either.

2. Not much of a difference. Unless your willing to pay the difference in price for a few fps in games in the future (most likely games based on the HL2 and Doom 3 engines, which wont be available for a long time), then just go with the 128mb

3. Hard to say...2-3 years would be my guess when it hits the real low end.

1. Not worth the 200.00 more...

2. Not much of a differnce as of yet...when the newer games come out...maybe there might be...the 128MB cards do OC better then the 256MB cards.

3. Not for a long time...think about it...Nvidia is still selling the GF2 cards ...(pricewatch.com)

Heatware Profile
    Dude I think I can really help you out!

I upgraded from a PNY 5200FXu 2 months ago. Getting my 9800non-pro was the best purchase I have made all year.

You will not be disapointed!!!....Just Imagine running games with full Anti-alaising and AINSO . It looks sooo different when there are no jaggies on the screen at all!!

Especially @ 1600/1200

Smile

thanks for the help guys, ordering very soon

Originally posted by devilscow22
    thanks for the help guys, ordering very soon
    good choice, youre gunna love the difference it makes. I just got a 9800nonpro and overclocked it...coming off of a gf4 mx420 LOL the difference is incredible