• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Meh Werk Log (First WC Rig)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daegon

My Work Log (First WC Rig)

Ok, just to inform the masses and keep myself organized and on track, I'm setting up a work log that I'll update whenever I accomplish something on this new rig. I'm big into photography so expect good images. (the pictures will be nice, I'm reserving judgement on the actual product though.)

I've got some parts in already and i'll put up images real soon. I just reinstalled windows and formatted el hard drive, cause i'm spring cleaning. Within the hour, i promise.

Last edited:
ok, mass update.

lets start at the begining. I wanted to make a WC rig for a while, and since i'm too lazy to make any sizible sum of money, i wanted to spend as little as possible.

PICS!
This is my current setup. Its an SK-7 with a SFII on it, cools real well. idle around 38 XP 1800+ at 2600+ 166x12.5, 512mb corsair ddr
awesome-cabling1.jpg

The 1984 honda accord heater core (pre cutting, but after i took it out of the casing)
precutting-rad.jpg

The pump, a Via Aqua 1300, is scheduled to come in today. pics of the test setup go up whenever i go to home depot to pick up some tubing.

heres one of the radiator after i cut it, I'm going to solder/weld in new barbs. its pretty enormous (9"x9"x4")

radiator.jpg

I've got an 11" box fan that i'm going to use in a custom (read made of plywood) enclosure. i'm going to need to make a shroud for the fan, the rad is smaller then it!
fans.jpg

Here's a pic of the D-Tek Spir@l I just bought off the forum classifieds.

spiral-wb.jpg

Question: what should I use to clean out the heater core. I've heard of people getting film on their hosing when they hook up an uncleaned used heater core.

Last edited:
7v 120mm from an old server for intake. theres an 80mm on the top and the power supply fans. plus I was having some problems with vibration when I had a fan on the back.

so in other news, the pump just came in, so of course i tested it. IT WORKS!
um... Home depot/ radio shack trip on the morrow.

Questions:

refer to the earlier quesion concerning cleaning solutions.

I also need to design an external housing for the pump, rad, shroud and fan. I was thinking
[physical description]i'd just have the fan on one end of a kinda cubeish box, with the shroud attached to it and the rad, then some open space on the other end for the pump.[/physical description]

[flow design] hot water come in from pc->Tee line attached to outside of the housing->pump pumps->radiator->PC[/flow design]

Thoughts?

That heatercore looks like a terrible flow killer. Can you invest like $20 and get a chevette heatercore? I remember when I went from a restrictive rad to a chevette with my via my temps went down 8c.

I think you may be right, I probably will end up with a different heater core, but this one was 8 dollars so i'm not fretting. Insofar as how restrictive it is, i'm going to test that, and we'll see. But i'm on your side for this one.

I just ran some water through my new HC and it filmed the test tubing. Which of course freaked me out (ya this is my first rig). So I posted, CLR was suggested but reading the back of the bottle it said not to use with brass or aluminum and that it was very corrosive. So I tried Simple Green which was suggested in another thread (which I didn't find on my first search, sorry for my thread spam). Cleaned everything out perfectly. I also used distilled water to be safe as my tap water leaves minerals in the bottom of the glass if left over to evaporate.

oh. ok. I'll pick some up when i get hoses.
Talking about water flow. I just noticed that the instructions for the ViaAqua 1300 say it HAS to be run submerged. Is the the truth?

No, you can run it inline. just make sure there is water in when bleeding. If there isn't you'll ruin it. Like, water has to be IN the pump.

BAM! took almost 2 months, but I finally acomplished something productive with my time!

Today I picked up 10' of 1/2 ID 5/8 OD generic vinyl hose.
So far I've assembled a tee line and planned almost everything out.

Since i'm not wanting too much to hack this case to tiny pieces, i've decided to ditch the flow killer of a heater core and go all internal. BIP/X at the top, with more intrest in keeping the internals looking clean then optimal shortness of tubing. My dimunive Via1300 will be running just the spiral for now.

PICT0071.jpg

In other news I hit 2600+ the other day, and I think i'll be able to run better temps with the new cooling. (currently 45c idle 52c load)

PICT0070.jpg

just a view into the chaos of me.

Sorry it took so long to get back on track, but I'm gonna keep goin.

How's that Via pump working out for ya? I'm about to buy a pump for my first wcing set up also and was sorta thinking about the hydor l30.

Back