• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PII 333 (top secret info?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeoMoses

well, I posted this once, and got a couple of replies, but the next day, I tried to find my post and it said, "Process Error Topic not approved yet." Maybe I'm asking a dangerous question that shouldn't be answered : )

Here goes again...I've got a PII 333 that I want to push to around 500. I've never overclocked before, but i've been doing lots o' research into it. I should be getting an Abit be6 mobo soon. Is this a good OCing mobo?

Also, I was looking for good sites/recommendation on cooling, and a tutorial/walkthrough of overclocking a PII. So far I've only found a couple of things on tomshardware.com. can't find much for a PII. (guess i'm somewhat behind the times.)

so if you've got any ideas/info, i'd appreciate it.

thanks in advance!
==============================================

Here's my update. I finally got a mobo (DFI P2XBL) and overclocked the chip. I got to 515 MHz, and the chip still has the original HSF and is in it's black casing! I'm trying to see if this chip is multiplier locked, cause i'd like to try 3.5X133 or 4X133 if possible. I'll post updates when i get them. Thanks for all the advice.

Last edited:
If this is your first intel overclock, I think you should be REALLY happy to hit 500MHz... so don't count on it.

I checked the CPU database for you, and got this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Pentium II 333 Results....
Total Entries in Database for Pentium II 333 - 221
Average overclocked speed - 472 Mhz
--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Abit Be6 mobo is a fine overclocking mobo, and should serve you well...

I think you should check out this fine article by Batboy, explaining a lot about overclocking for newbies

Batboys article: http://www.overclockers.com/tips444/.

Good luck with it! :)

toms hardware is ****, to overclock your processor, you need to set the fsb speed to 100MHz, casing it to run at 500MHz

Edited by Newbie_Doo. Sorry, no flames means no flames. Even if it is another site.

just thought i'd clarify something: I have overclocked AMD processors b4, but never an Intel. I do understand cooling, increasing voltage if necessary, airflow through case.... What i'm looking for is specific stuff related to PIIs. sorry if i led you the wrong direction at first.

Here are some of my questions:

1. What's the best HSF for a PII?
2. Assuming my L2 cache can run at 100 FSB, what's the best way to keep it cool?
3. I've seen people who have "sandwiched" their PII's between 2 heatsinks, but haven't seen validation for this. Does this work, and how well?

thanks guys!

1. Global Win have some good Slot 1 heatsinks.

2. Your L2 is on-die. Keep the CPU cool and you keep your L2 cool.

3. Yes, I have done this with Celerons and it works ok. The bad thing is that you have to use the old school thermal tape because you run the risk of shorting things on the back of the CPU our if you don't use that thick old stuff. You remember that stuff...looked like pink duct tape...... And the trade off is that stuff just doesn't transfer heat worth a snot.

I've also got a PII 333 that I sometimes play around with and use for testing. If I remember right the one I've got only runs up to about 450 MHZ(4.5 x 100). The one I've got is actually unlocked(S-spec SL2KA)....hopefully yours is unlocked also. As long as your memory and AGP card can handle it, you may want to try running the board at 133 FSB. 533 may be somewhat unlinkely(4 x 133) but 467 (or whatever it comes out to be) might be obtainable. I would venture to say that (3.5 x 133) will probably out perform (5 x 100). Also, you may have to raise the voltage up to 2.2V or so.

my S-spec is SL2WY, made in Malaysia, week37. From the database, it looks to be a good overclocker. Unfortunately, I think that it's new enough to be locked, but I don't know for sure yet.

They didn't lock the multiplier until approximately August of 1999(with the PII 400). After looking at the other CPU's in the database, it would appear that yours was probably made in the 37th week of 1998. Also, somebody else with the same s-spec, Malaysian chip, and week 37 put in the comment/notes section that he was able to run it with a 5X mulitiplier. I would say your chip is probably unlocked.

I think all 333's are multiplier unlocked...but i have read some issues about overclocking the 333 (not exactly sure what...but it was a strange problem) that do not apply to the 266's or 300's...both of which i have had some experience with multiplier overclocking w/o adjusting voltage or modifying the chip. 266's generally will run at 300 sometimes at 333. 300's sometimes at 333 generally not much more. But I wouldn't waste too much time with the 333, the results may be disappointing, I would just spend a few bucks extra on a new chip.

maybe i'm just being too optimistic, but when i look @ the DB, i see LOTS of PII 333s with my S-Spec (SL2WY) running at 500+....(of course those are the successful overclocks. Nobody has a DB of "roasted" CPUs) Anyway, I'm not planning on putting more than $35-$40 into this project. It's just something to tinker with. : )

i just dug my moms machine out of the closet and lookie what i found. a pII 333mhz. after i washed the dust clods out of the heatsink(it was full of dust clods). i wiped everything down, reset the bios by stickin a crewdriver in the between the cmos battery contact(had a password). set all the setting to factory deafult. 333mhz, starting tinkering and got it to 416mhz. this one was made in ireland and that seems to be the de facto for this stock. so i got my moneys worth out of it. good luck, would like to know if you ever got it runnin.

jmsandrsn said:
They didn't lock the multiplier until approximately August of 1999(with the PII 400). After looking at the other CPU's in the database, it would appear that yours was probably made in the 37th week of 1998. Also, somebody else with the same s-spec, Malaysian chip, and week 37 put in the comment/notes section that he was able to run it with a 5X mulitiplier. I would say your chip is probably unlocked.

Curious...I was under the impression that intel locked the multi on everything after the P II 266's. News to me otherwise. But then, I only know what I've read, and the only P II I've owned is the P II 233 I now have.

Mr B said:

Curious...I was under the impression that intel locked the multi on everything after the P II 266's. News to me otherwise. But then, I only know what I've read, and the only P II I've owned is the P II 233 I now have.

I always thought the same as Mr.B but apparently not.

Heres what Spode had to say.

"Spode: (2:27 AM) P II 233 and up where potentially locked, although many were not. I have never ehard of a 100mhz version unlocked tho, only the 66mhz

OpenFriday: (2:28 AM) so the 66 FSB versions could be either or?

Spode: (2:28 AM)the 66fsb versions are generally unlocked (233~233) but the later releases of the chip where generally locked."

Well I learnt something, i just thought all were locked, thanks guys for bringing this up as Im glad i know, heck my P2 300 i just ordered may be unlocked! YAY!

Just to clarify what OF said, as it looks a bit of a mess in my ICQ message.

When the PII was originally released, the 233~333 were all unlocked, until the release of the 100mhz version at which point they started locking them, and of course starting locking the 66mhz which where still being made.

So if you get an early one before that date, it's unlocked. If it's after, then locked.

Spode said:
Just to clarify what OF said, as it looks a bit of a mess in my ICQ message.

When the PII was originally released, the 233~333 were all unlocked, until the release of the 100mhz version at which point they started locking them, and of course starting locking the 66mhz which where still being made.

So if you get an early one before that date, it's unlocked. If it's after, then locked.

Thanks, Spode. Sounds like a difintive answer to me. Guess my 233 is an "early" one, then...=)

I'm not sure if i like Allan Nielsen's approach..."If this is your first intel overclock, I think you should be REALLY happy to hit 500MHz... so don't count on it." Personally I beg to differ. I took my 350p2 (as my first overclock) to 504mhz with only a Abit wb6!! Right now it's a 480 with a fsb of 137 and a multiplier of 3.5. the volts are at 2.10 and it has been running great!! I have no cooling YET so when I run Foling@home the temps are around 95-105 deg f....but I am very happy!

I have confidence in you and if you need help in any way, feel free to message me! :)

Well good luck reaching the 500Mhz area but it mostly depends on if your cache can handle it since its not On Die...and u might have cooling problems i would recomend looking into a site that has a walk thru on how to take the casing on the PII chips help u out in cooling those L2 cache chips.... and your chip is 66Mhz bus i kinda have doubts that u can 100% overclock that to 133bus and have rock stablity there

Back