• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd64 3000 or 3200, 512 more cache?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Huan

Registered
Does the 512kb extra cache on the amd 64 3200 cpus warrent the extra cash for them? Researching before I order parts for my bros gaming rig.. Hes gonna be playing EQ mostely, some UT and Quake/Doom3 when it comes out as well..

Any opinions please???

People that have tried both say that the 3200+ feels a tiny bit faster. Its a very very insignificant difference, and you most probably won't notice it. The 3000+ would be a great choice.

I'd like to see what you're going to order, as I'm building a machine that will be primarily be for playing EQ1 and then WoW when it comes out.

That being said, unless you're running loads of windows I *know* that you don't need anything higher than say, 1.4ghz. Running a 1700+ with 1024MB of DDR333 (no, not dual channel) and a Geforce4 Ti 4600. Runs perfectly with all of the settings on. (Even without overclocking anything.)

Then again, I also don't see the point in getting a 3200 when you can just OC an unlocked desktop Barton or a mobile. (I don't know anything about the 3000+/3200+ though, other than that they aren't cheap.)

TehGoober said:
I'd like to see what you're going to order, as I'm building a machine that will be primarily be for playing EQ1 and then WoW when it comes out.

That being said, unless you're running loads of windows I *know* that you don't need anything higher than say, 1.4ghz. Running a 1700+ with 1024MB of DDR333 (no, not dual channel) and a Geforce4 Ti 4600. Runs perfectly with all of the settings on. (Even without overclocking anything.)

Then again, I also don't see the point in getting a 3200 when you can just OC an unlocked desktop Barton or a mobile. (I don't know anything about the 3000+/3200+ though, other than that they aren't cheap.)

He's talking about A64 chips.

If I were you Huan, I'd hold it with the upgrade for a month or so, and see what we get on the Socket 939 platform. If we're gonna see some A64 3000s or 3200s that'd be a much better buy as it has dual channel memory and will be much more upgradable than the Socket 754.

K, May just stick with the AMD A64 3000+ then.. Newegg has it for retail packageing 223.00 Believe the retail comes with a fan built onto it.. As long as its seated correctly on the chip, it should work fine.

Now to dig up information on what ram/motherboard works best on the amd a64 3000 cpu.

Lots and lots of reading!

Hmm didn't see your post before replying Cool, wasn't aware of a new upcoming socket change out.. Not entirely sure how long he wants to wait on the new system.. But he does want to build one that'll last at least a couple years assuming no hardware failures during then..

Does this mean the current A64's aren't capable of dual channel?

Everytime I slack off the hardware sights I get a request to build a new box lol... Damn the luck

hehe. well the Socket 754 most likely won't get any 0.09µm chips, and it will be pretty limited in the upgrade options. And the current 754 pin A64s only run on single channel. the new socket 939 should start appearing in the next couple of weeks and will have a much better upgrade path than the socket 754

Aye, but that does still save me around 30 dollars.. Can probably find them cheaper than that, but thats the estimate i've seen at least.

Guess i'll have to check out this new socket thats coming out..

Actually AMD stock heatsink on the K8 is pretty good, and I've seen people reach high clock speeds on stock cooling
Also the fact that the A64s run relatively cool is helping ;)

i have athlon64bit and it has not been as good as i hoped for,igot the 3200+1 mb and i am yet to find any software to overclock the pro u can only do this threw the fsb,mine 1 mounth old and i will be selling it and build one with overclocking capablebilty

939 will have locks for the pci ,agp plus duel mem for the cpus as well better ocing as i see it 4 the new sockets.better to wait a little while,u get better bang for the buck if u wait!!.upgrade path will work 4 ya as well.

Back