• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which one is the better card...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woscarr

Registered
I recently purchased these two video cards:

1st. eVGA GF4 MX440 8x 64ddr $55 CDN

(according to there web page... spec's...)
RAMDAC clock speed = 350
64MB 64-bit 5ns DDR
is all they really give about speeds of this card.

&

2nd. Forsa GF4 MX 4000 8x 128ddr $65 CDN

(on the back of the box.. spec's...)
graphics core = 256 bits
core speed = 275 MHz
mem config. = 128-bits, 128MB DDR
mem speed = 512 MHz
ect...

What dose RAMDAC speed mean and how come my second card ain't got none :D

Both cards have no fan on them, the second card has a heatsink that also covers the memory. Should i get fans ?

What is the difference between these cards ?

About the second card. The MX4000. I have searched everywhere and can't seem to find any info about this card or anyone who has one and posted info. Weird.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Wayne

The 4000 is very new and i havnt seen anything on it yet.
I asked a similiar question about it a few weeks ago and the reply i got was that the 440 would be a better performer.

As always though,test the cards urself and let us know about this 4000! Im very curious.

The MX4000 is basically a rehashed MX440. Same core and memory architecture, from what I can ascertain.

In this case, the MX4000 is many times better than the MX440 you have listed. The 440 has the crippled 64-bit memory bus. Don't bother putting that card in any PC that ever needs to do anything vaguely 3D-related. You're looking at sub-GeForce2 GTS performance. The MX4000 is scant on info because it's mostly targeted for the business/budget PC segment... and because it's relatively new. Nobody's going to make a lot of noise about a card that uses 3+ year-old tech.

Oh, and of the unanswered question - RAMDAC speed relates mostly to how well the card can output signal to a device... it's not important for 3D speed, but is more important to 2D quality and how well it deals with sending signal to more than one device.

No, cards that send signals two two devices (GF4 MX, for instance) have dual RAMDACs.

Anyways, I'm very surprised that the MX440 has 64-bit DDR. That looks like a typo; it should be 128-bit.

Damian said:
No, cards that send signals two two devices (GF4 MX, for instance) have dual RAMDACs.

Anyways, I'm very surprised that the MX440 has 64-bit DDR. That looks like a typo; it should be 128-bit.

And there are MANY MX440s that have 64-bit memory busses. I'd venture to say there are just as many 64-bit 440s as 128-bit ones.

As for RAMDACs, most cards nowadays have dual RAMDACS, anyhow. Whether or not they have dual display outputs, though, is another story.

Last edited:
theflyingrat said:
Don't bother putting that card in any PC that ever needs to do anything vaguely 3D-related.

Ouch! I agree though. Seriously, the dx7 cards are just a little bit outdated! Add to that a crippled dx7 card, now thats just petiful!

While we're on the topic of MX4000s I wondering... are these DX8.1 compliant or not? When they first came out and weeks later I searched all over the net for specs on this model- it varies very much. Some also say OGL 1.3 support while others say 1.4 support. Almost all of them say DX8 though.

theflyingrat said:
Don't bother putting that card in any PC that ever needs to do anything vaguely 3D-related. You're looking at sub-GeForce2 GTS performance.

I don't know about the GeForce 2 GTS but the rest is deffinatly not true, my GeForce4 MX 440 was and is a great card for games up to about UT2003. Still the rest is true, from the looks of things the 4000 is better, but maybe not great.

CrashOveride said:

I don't know about the GeForce 2 GTS but the rest is deffinatly not true, my GeForce4 MX 440 was and is a great card for games up to about UT2003. Still the rest is true, from the looks of things the 4000 is better, but maybe not great.

The mx 4000 has only 1 thing going fot it performance wise against the 440 and thats 128mbs of memory.

I runs the core at 250, the 440 is at 275.I dont know what the 4000 specs are for mem speed.

I find it hard to believe nvidia would go through all the trouble to redesign a new mx card. so looking at the specs of the 4000 it looks like a non dx9 fx5200. which honestly would be faster than the 5200. I have yet to see a pic of this card tho,so we dont know if it has the same body as the 5200.

I saw 1 out of the box today at a local shop and it was a gainward low profile vers. looked cool in red. anyways it doesnt look like a 5200. They wanted $80 for it. While i was there i saw a BFG ti4200 64mb agp8x for the same price! lol. I had to buy the 4200 for that price.

Wow, i thought the 5600u edged out the ti4200 by a little. So the 4200 is somewhere between the 5600u and 5700nu with older games? (Or 5700u possibly?)

I benched the 4200 and the 5700u at stock speeds with 3d2k1 and the 4200 rocked the 5700u at most tests with 1 huge exception being the nature scene,where the 5700u doubled the fps over the 4200.So in the end they came out with around the same score. Maybe a 200point difference in favor of the 5700u.

wow, guess a BIG uprade will be needed from my ti4200 then huh? That won't be in about a year anyway, im kinda like oc550 :)

forgot to mention the comparison is moot now that i remembered i used the 5303 drivers for the 5700u and the 4403's for the 4200!

Sorry.

Back