• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp of my PIII800EB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maha

I overclocked my PIII800 to 933 but is it normal that the temp is so unstable, by that i mean that running windows doeing nothing the cpu temp is 36/37 when being on the internet i go to the 39 degrees but when running unreal Tournament i get temps of 44/46.

Is this normal or is this bad???

This is typical. The "doing nothing" is called idle temp. Running intensive 3D games would be considered "load" temp. Generally, my CPU full load temps average about 10 degrees hotter than CPU idle temps. On the other hand, those overclocked load temps are a little bit warm. With coppermine processors, I like to keep my load temps at 40 degrees or less. I'd say you might consider working on lowering those temps a few degrees. That will help with stability and allow a little more headroom for future overclocking. What CPU cooler are you using? How about thermal paste?

I am using a Global Win WBK38 and some arctic silver II termal paste. But i am running my processor @ 1,70V.

My CPU can also be a bit higher because of the temp in my room it's somewhere around 25 and up degrees C in my room and the MB temp is 34.

Well, i am still trying to figure that out, bacause applications crash when i clock higher, i think this is the hdd that crashes at the bus speed higher than 38, does anyone know what to do, it's a maxtor ATA100 7200 rpm.

That's a good cooler and great thermal paste, but I feel that both your MB and CPU load temps are still a bit too high. I have done lots of overclocking and testing and temp monitoring on these coppermine CPUs and I'm speaking from experience here. I don't recommend going farther until you get the cooling under control or you'll just suffer with instability. The guy posting that the temps were in spec is correct if you don't take into account the higher than spec FSB speed. When you overclock, especially when using high FSB (which you are doing) then the "spec temps" have to be thrown out the window because it no longer applies.

The good news is that you have it running at 933 with only 1.7v, that's quite nice and means you have some headroom to go farther. But, you need to work some more on cooling. I'd remove the heatsink, lap it, and reapply with fresh Arctic Silver. Consider swapping the 60mm fan out for an 80mm fan. Next step is to cool that motherboard and chipset down some more. Good air flow across the mobo is required. Case fans intaking fresh air in and exhausting hot air out really helps. Mobo northbridge cooling gets critical the higher you push the FSB speeds. If you don't have a fan on the northbridge chip, then get one. Usually a 40mm fan fits them perfectly. A recycled 486 CPU fan works good if you're on a tight budget. Consider removing the mobo sink and lapping it and applying AS to it also.

I have that same Maxtor harddrive and have ran it at 39 MHz PCI bus speeds plenty of times. I scrambled it once trying for 40 though. The drive was ok, but I had to reformat it. I use 38 MHz PCI speed most of the time nowadays. What other cards do you have? Network cards don't always like being overclocked. How about the video card. If you have a GeForce, that should be ok. I still say it's cooling that is hanging you up. Once you get your system a little cooler, then you can bump up the voltage and that should stabilize your system. But first, cooling is the key for right now.

Never forget that even if your CPU can do this at default voltage, she will simply draw more amps to be able to do the extra Mhz's, meaning she will run hotter! My Celeron 800 runs 32-35C load when doing 800/1.7V, and she will also do 1Ghz/1.7v but she runs 37-39C then. So even if you're OCing with default voltages you will need to mind good cooling...

Back