• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to get sub artic tempertures for your system and cpu!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sendatooli

let me pre-empt this with the fact that i had no reason to do this other than for fun.

last night at 10 pm. i set my air conditioner down to 40 degrees f. i also set my machine to run burnp6.
i came downstairs(where computer is) at 3 pm. today.
thermometer on my desk, read, room temp of 36f. even though the air conditioner was set to 40f(its lowest setting).

there was frost on the walls and windows, i was shivering. the airconditoner was blowing white "snowflakes" out the front.

o.k., now for the good part. i turned on my monitor and burnp6 was still running (obviously). i checked winbond hardware doctor.

>cpu. 27c. system 28c. nuff said. (full load).<

dont try this at home kiddies. your parents will kill ya', when the electric bill comes. seeing as im an adult, and a home owner, i guess i'll be taking out a second mortage for my electric bill.

rest assured the airconditioner is back at 75f. where i normally keep it. this was just a little "fun" but most likely costly experiment. just hope i didnt break the airconditioner too(knock on wood).

my system normally runs both system and cpu at 38-40c under full load with room temp of 75f. and it's rock stable. so this was just something to experiment in my mad laboratory. it is amazing that room temp. can work to drop your system temp over 10c. that is why big computer labs with mainframes are always freezing. so someone please come up with a case airconditioner so we dont have to freeze! maybe put the computer in a mini freezer ,like for extra steaks?

yes, i really did this. it's not a joke. why?, i dnot know. im just a nerd!

are we having fun yet?,
sendatooli.

ambientfiction, note the "fiction". 68f. is 20c. is it not?
at full load, without super cooling? even if you mean just the system temp, and not the cpu temp. that is still pretty hard to beleive. i'm not going so far as to call you a lier, since anything is possible, just pretty hard to beleive.

sendatooli (Jul 16, 2001 02:54 a.m.):
ambientfiction, note the "fiction". 68f. is 20c. is it not?
at full load, without super cooling? even if you mean just the system temp, and not the cpu temp. that is still pretty hard to beleive. i'm not going so far as to call you a lier, since anything is possible, just pretty hard to beleive.

oh come on dont you have anything better to do sendatooli if you dont believe him keep it to yourself a dang bong cooler can get those temps below ambient so it is not outside the realm of possibility for an airconditioner to

my apollagies. i didnt realize he meant it was in front of an air conditioner. anyways any airconditioner set as low as 40f. the coil will freeze and bust the air conditioner very quickly. as the airconditioner evaporator can not wick the condensed moisture quickly enough. you all should know about condensation, it happens to cpu's. im not talking about the cpu here, just the fact that the airconditioner will self destruct in a matter of hours. even at 40f. which is the lowest temp. any residential air conditioner can achieve, it will not cool the cpu to 20f. at full load. even if it did the ice being blown into the case would surely destroy the machine.

furthermore, i doubt ambientfiction sits in his room at or below 40f. to use his computer. i simply did this as an idiotic joke for myself.
also, he did not state he was using a bong cooler.
even so, a bong cooler will not get it THAT cool. unless it is a pentium 166mmx.

if you could simply get a cpu that cool by blowing an external source of cold air at it, everyone would be doing so.

this type of temperture would indeed require exotic cooling to the tune of lots of money.
once again, everyone would be doing this. even if it was acheived by methods other than external air conditioning. so be it.

well, maybe i enlightnened you all on why this is hard to beleive.

as for those who do beleive this, i have some swamp land in florida you might be intrested in purchasing.

no, seriously, im not bashing ambientfiction. we havent heard from him yet. he may have mistakingly put the wrong temp. or he may indeed have a good explanation for this temp.
if his explanation is simply "my ac is on 60f. and blowing 2 feet from the case from a duct on a central air system". "i'm just lucky". this would fall under the heading of b.s.. physics is physics. sorry indeed.

flame me if you must, just make sure it is an educated flame.

sendatooli.

Someone explain to me why 60F is so hard to believe. Especially when it is coming from an air conditioner. My AC will freeze over it gets so cold, and it does that on 95F Florida summer days.

why bother with peltiers and vapor cooling. also if you look in overclockers.com's cooling bit there is a person that cooled thgeirs with liquid nitrogen (oh yeh)

Yeah but they only cooled it enough to boot. Doing an insane overclock on Liquid Nitrogen is one thing, but doing a great overclock and running it on a daily basis is another.

I think that his story is legit. Frost in the room at 36F is about right. Frost will start to form around 40 degrees if the humidity is right. How many times have you walked outside on a cool spring day and see frost on the ground, well above freezing. His system temp was 28C, which is 82F. Quite believable. As a matter of fact it's not only believable, its pathetic. His system temp is 50 degress above his room temp tells me his air flow in his case is sad.

I think people read this too fast and with him switching from C ot F in every sentence might have thrown a few people.

AC's wont burst at 40f. My computer room AC constantly freezes over, and my home AC unit us usually frosted over. The coils are well below 40F.

Everyone seems to think that it is almost impossible to get a CPU to 28C, which is like I said 82 degrees. I mean 82 degrees is easily reachable with an AC unit.

Just ask Kryotech......

kingslayer, i think YOU read my post too fast. it is not my story that anyone disbeleives. it is in fact, ambientfiction's story myself and others find hard to beleive. hey, anything is possible.

also, causing the coils to form ice on your ac condenser is never a good idea. if it is too hot for you at 95. in florida and you are causing ice to form on the coils. you need more tonage.

like i said this was just a stupid trick i tried. i never run my ac at 40f. for any period of time. when ice forms on the coils it becomes much less efficient, and ultimitly seizes the compressor. yes, freezing the coils will get them below 40f. but, since the coils are less effiecient in a frozen state, they will actually dissipatate even less than 40f. into the ambient room temp.
the actual working temp of any ac unit is directly proportional to the ambient room temp and the tonage of the unit.
nonetheless, running your ac at 40f. or less is never a good idea. do you really want to see your electric bill after you do this?

now, in the case of ambientfiction. ac outlet is 2 feet away. i doubt he sits in a 40f. room. yet he states his system runs 68f(20c) and does not mention any other fancy cooling. maybe his temp probe reading is misleading him?

20c. system is possible with ac on say 60f. and a waterblock on the cpu with a 2 120 watt peltiers cooling the water pump with 100cfm fans cooling the peltiers. or their are other ways to do this. but, simply lowering your ambient room temp will not likely get you to 20c.

the reason i really dont beleive this, is because ambientfiction typed a post here. if it was really that cold his hands would be frozen.
well maybe it is true. since we have not heard from him yet, is it possible the temperture of his room caused him to go into cardiac arrest? and he isnt overclocking anything anymore? i hope not! sad to lose one of our own!(this is a joke, i dont wish anyone any harm, so plz. dont flame me!).

is it cold in here or what?
sendatooli.

Well 20 degrees C seems pretty wack to me too. I'll let you know sometime this winter. I'll just open my window and let the room temp fall to 30 to 40 below zero C and see what my temps are.

i wasnt saying that he had a bong cooler i was saying tha some people around here can manage ambient temps or below with a bong cooler so how is it so hard to beleive he gets 68 ferenheit if the ambient temp in his room is say 60 ferenheit thats a delta of 4c now i have a delta of 10c with my watercooling setup and its cooled with room temp air "no air conditioner" so i run at 31c the room temp is 21c
with an airconditioner blowing right into the case and a room temp of 60c and a good hsf on there it isnt real hard to beleive it. im done defending ambient fiction he can do it for himself if he really wants to

Yes it was a typo. I have a 533@600 mhz and it is 60ºF at 50% and 75ºF after playing unreal for over two hours.Also two F@H clients running then also with a firewall.I'd call that full load

[img="[URL]http://members.theglobe.com/AmbintFicton/SYSTEMP.JPG[/URL]"]

Most people hate my house because, I hate heat. The windows have only been open once this summer. I tend to get overheated and have seziures due to a case of bad heatsickness as a kid so its A/C anytime its over 75ºF outside. Most people tend to make use of my blankets when inside my house.
To all the flames bite me!!!!! :D

It's true. Ambient Fiction keeps his computer right in front of the air conditioner. The house is FREEZING! If I go over there, I have to wear long sleeve shirts, and often have to wrap up in a blanket. And it's 95 degrees outside! So it is very probable that his cpu temps are 60 F.
Note to Ambient: People do want to feel their toes while programming.

GEE i thought 20C was possible i'm running very close to 30C and most of the time i'm around 29C [full load] with just a swamp cooler 3 feet away from my PC but the air is not blowing on my PC but my ambient temps are around 25C. My brother is building a refrigeration system for me [supposed to be] but then i think i'll be fighting condensation and electricity bills so i'm not sure if i'll ask him to finish at this point he's looking for cheap parts or left over ones from his work [builds refrigeration systems for jet\rocket fuel] :) I think this winter when its cold i'll let the air in and see if its really going to let me overclock higher before i spend 300 on a system.

hey, ambientfiction. im sorry i jumped on you. and everyone else should be sorry for jumping on me. see it was a typo. 75f. at full load is very beleivable if it is freezing in the room. see the problem with 60f. is the delta becomes much less effiecient at lower temps. you will need something on the cpu to absorb that cold air. like a 40 pound copper heatsink. there is a point were freezing ambients become much less effiecient because the air gets heavier. so you need a heatsink with enough surface to actually freeze the heatsink. then comes into play condensation. this can easily be done if you are directly freezing the heatsink and it has enough surface to be efficient.
i rarely see anyone here get 60f. at full load. so that is why i didnt beleive it.

once again, now that he cleared this up it is beleivable. 75f. at full load.
furthermore, folks please dont break your airconditioners. you will need them! if your condenser freezes you will seize the compressor. see my above post. so folks if you like this idea just wait to the winter and open all the windows. natures frozen air is less dense than airconditioned air, so it is more effiecient. airconditioners work by removing moisture from the air, thus moving molecules closer together. at a point frozen airconditioned air becames less effcient delta. you can measure the performance of an ac coil with the same equipment used to measure the effectivness of an heatsink.
the folks who review heatsinks on the main site can tell you that cooling becomes less efficient at a certain point. getting to 75f. is fairly easy, getting to 60f. at full load will cost you much more than say going from 90f. to 75f.

nuff said! can we please end this post now?
unless you now want to disagree with my theorys on the effiiency of air cooling?

i started this post as a joke, when i was an idiot and turned my ac all the way down. i didnt mean to get into a flame war!

now thats cold,
sendatooli.

Back