• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

graphics card!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hec

Registered
OK here goes, this info worked on a compaq where I overclocked the card. How this would effect your setup I have no idea. Maybe it would be bad for your setup because the only way to get the card stable would be to unbalance the systems timing.

Adding processor speed actually will increase the overclockability of the graphics card; however It won't gain stability at the same rate of FSB speed increase. Latency settings should always be balanced- changing the FSB speed shouldn't require a latency change. Changing clock multiplier one should lower the latency on the processor (if it is already a good setting).
If a graphics card is running too fast- slow it down by depriving it of data to do the job.

In your latency settings

I know that higher CPU latency or a lower latency for everything else will allow an overclocked graphics card more stability since some of its clock cycles its not actually making use of.

The CPU is getting information from all the devices on the system. The devices are running at the FSB speed. The processor is running at FSB times clock multiplier. Since a video card does not take control of the FSB- you can mess the latency balance on the card up without messing the balance of the rest of the system up. On my compaq I raised all of the latency settings but the zeros equally and while the system did not slow down it did slow down my graphics card and there were no artifacts. Without doing so there were lots of artifacts @ 200mhz.

An example of higher processor speed helping a vid card overclock is my new comp. It has 1G and I did nothing to the latency settings to improve the Voodoo 3 3000 overclockability @ 204 with no artifacts & stable. On a side note I have an AMD K6-2 on what appears to be the bus chip for the voodoo3 and 2 huge 20 inch fans sucking air through the inside of the computer. Now even though I can run it at 220mhz and it stays cool enough that I can't find out where the heat is at with my setup- it will still crash the heck out of my system @ that speed. 210 there is still no heat that i can sense with my hands but it still artifacts like crazy- 205 i think i detected one artifact in about 10 mins... this program detects them hasn't found any yet at 204 so i will stick here until it doesn't... Try to stablize the card by any means possible and look for video glitches. If you see them then you know that this is the issue- otherwise look for other problems

on the voodoo card where i said amd k6-2 on the card, I mean i have a heat sink designed for that processor.

Well, I for one don't have a clue what you're talking about, but you did mention that the cards run at the FSB which is wrong. The PCI bus has a clock divider, so the cards run at 1/2, 1/3, or even 1/4 of the FSB depending on the FSB and your motherboard. The only latency timing I've heard of is the RAM.memory. Additionally, if this post is indeed for graphics cards, it's in the wrong category. It probably should be in the video card section and not the Intel CPU section.

I'm lost as well, I would like to note that the mulitiplier is locked on Intel CPU's so your post is really confusing, I think your trying to help so if you could simplify things so we could understand then i'm sure we would be glad to read through your info. You may want to read through the tips section and get a good background on overclocking.

goodluck

Back