• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Heatsink These days ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burnt_Ram

i'm looking for another heatsink, and i wanted to try a thermalright out. i can get a good deal on a slk-700. now the questionis. is there much of a diff cooling wise between the 700,800 and 900 there all copper, and they all look very similar ? and what are those new SP or whatever there called like ? because i see the slk's are discontinued. tia

I haven't heard anything about their discontinuation, but the SLK series are still better heatsinks than almost everything out there. The biggest difference between the 700, 800, and 900 is their size. The 700 accomidates 60, 70, and 74mm fans. The 800 will take 60, 70, and 80mm. And the 900 will take 65, 70, 75, 80, and 92mm fans. You might want to look into the ALX-800 if you want a drop in temps. According to the Overclockers.com Heatsink Roundup (for Socket A) your current HSF is pretty similar to teh SLK-700 in terms of heat disipation.

looks like i'll try and find a good price on the 800 or 900 :) and i need to find a quiet/efficent fan. heard the smartfan 2 is decent ? i dont mind a little noise ! but thank god i have a 3 speed switch on this Delta. LOL ! any fan suggestions guys ?

SewerBeing said:
the best socket A heatsink is the SP-97, with a powerful fan.
i was looking that SP 97. impressive. looks like a slk-900 with heat pipes ! now, how much better is it than a slk-900 !

Last edited:
I think the 2 are pretty close in the review on the front page, heatsink round up..You might get more bang for your buck with the SLK 900A than the SP-97...I run the SP-94 HS and I'm happy with my temps.See sig of rig...The C/W seems higher on the AMD TR HS's.. TR = Thermalright..:D Individual results may very!

archilochus said:
I think the 2 are pretty close in the review on the front page, heatsink round up..You might get more bang for your buck with the SLK 900A than the SP-97...I run the SP-94 HS and I'm happy with my temps.See sig of rig...The C/W seems higher on the AMD TR HS's.. TR = Thermalright..:D Individual results may very!
36c full load ! your ready for summer ;) thats the temps i get with my 1700+ cranked right up (2200mhz) ! but this damn barton seems to want to run alot hotter under load ! :( the 1700 never really changes under load. maybe 3-5 degree's celcius :rolleyes:

I'm trying to get ready.I'll be dealing with 82 degrees Fahrenheit equals 27.7778 degrees Celsius ambient room temps.:drool: My goal is to keep it in the low 40's FOLDING...:) Where is your favorite web biz to shop up there. Bigfoot has some good 92mm Panaflo fans,but there high as a cats back..

archilochus said:
I'm trying to get ready.I'll be dealing with 82 degrees Fahrenheit equals 27.7778 degrees Celsius ambient room temps.:drool: My goal is to keep it in the low 40's FOLDING...:) Where is your favorite web biz to shop up there. Bigfoot has some good 92mm Panaflo fans,but there high as a cats back..
when i cant get the parts i need wholesale through my business. i shop at tigerdirect.ca and a couple others. i bought something from Bigfoot a couple years back. my MC 462 i think ....

Whats your full load temp now with the reseat? What is the mobo and ambient(room) temps @ full load? What do you run to achieve full load? :cool:

archilochus said:
Whats your full load temp now with the reseat? What is the mobo and ambient(room) temps @ full load? What do you run to achieve full load? :cool:
Idle, 32c ambient case temp 20-22c
load, 47-48c after 10 mins prime95 ambient case temp goes up to 27-29c room temp is around 20-22c

bigfoot currently has the panaflo 92mm high bx for $15 cdn and the 80mm for $13.good prices for canada.their no tach models are more expensive.weird

Ok,now run it with the side panel off and a desk fan blow into the case..Every thing else the same..What do you get on the temps 100% CPU usage? Have you remove the fan grids from your case yet? :cool:

it doesnt seem to make a diff with the side off, as there's a 80mm fan in the side panel. i should use my OLD case that has 2x100mm fans in the side. its butt ugly tho ! (home job) sure keeps my 1700+ cool tho !

Put that panel up against this case with the fans running for test purposses..Try and get your case/mobo temp as close to ambient(room) temp as possible. Read CPU temp.:cool:

archilochus said:
Put that panel up against this case with the fans running for test purposses..Try and get your case/mobo temp as close to ambient(room) temp as possible. Read CPU temp.:cool:
actually, with the side off. the cpu fan on high speed. i got the temp down to 44c load after 10 mins prime95 :) soooo i need better side cooling ! something like my 1700+ rig i guess .... I wish those SP97's where'nt so much here ! i posted a price above, but i was way wrong ! (need glasses)

Back