• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LAP CELE 2 OR NOT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CHUCKIE

Registered
I HAVE A CELE 566 AT 850 STABLE AND IT WILL DO OVER 1 GIG BUT UNSTABLE. IT HAS A BLUE SUBSTANCE OVER THE LITTLE SQUARE METAL PART. SHOULD I REMOVE THIS STUFF OR WHAT IT IS ON A ASUS SY-6VCA MOBO WITH 128 MEGS OF PC133 RAM AND A SAVAGE 4 VID CARD WITH 32 MEGS. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

First, please stop YELLING. Typing in all caps is looked at like yelling... Thanks.

Second I would NOT reccomend that you lap the CPU core. It is very small on the Celeron2 and would be very easy to screw up. Also, I do not know how thick the plate is...

Third, what Heatsink are you using? If you are using the stock HSF, then go and get a better one like the Alpha PEP66T or something. Are you using any thermal paste between the CPU and the HSF? If not you REALLY should be, and I reccomend Arctic Silver.

Fourth, you should have some way of monitoring CPU temps, heat could be causing your instability. Get some way of monitoring it...

I do not recomend lapping a C2 or P3 they are pretty darn flat and that coating is there for a reason. The older .25 micron Celerons on the other hand were often far from flat. I have a pair or 366's on a BP6 and the first time I held a HSF up to the cpu I could see light through all but the 4 corners! Needless to say lapping helped these cpu's out a lot.

All you need to do is make sure your HSF gets a good lap job anf you will be fine. Do not lap that C2.

I did it on my C2 and was safe, but Don't do it!!!!!
it's absolutly dangerous, can kill your chip, it's better increase the Case airflow or replace the Cpu cooler with a kick ***!!!

I very lightly lapped my p3 1g [1500 grit] but i knew i was gambling when i started to be honest i lapped the HSF too at the same time so i'm not even sure if i gained anything by doing it, it can be done if done properly but i still would not recommend it as there are senior members here who have ruined perfectly good CPU's trying to lapp them. As far as the coating ive never heard of anyone who lapped succesfully and then said they had worse results because the coating was gone, what you have to ask yourself is is half a centigrade give or take a half worth ruining your CPU. goodluck

Back