• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Downloading Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diggingforgold

I'm on my moms HP Pavilion PIII 800MHz. WinXP Pro, 384MB RAM, 64MB GF3 ti500, same exact connection to the Internet as mine (2.0Mb WOW Cable) through a router. Only exception is she does not have some ports opened for gaming, etc.... She has all the same router settings as my brothers PC, except his can download just fine.

The problem is she cannot download... If I go to firefoxes site and try to download their browser, it just sits there with the download dialog open, with no transfering of data or anything. This is through IE6.

So I tried to email her a copy of FireFox, to hopefully fix her problem. She uses Outlook Express just like me, and using the same wow email server as mine. I emailed her the file, and it downloaded and installed on her system flawlessly. I tried downloading firefox again on her computer via forefoxes browser (just as a test). Except it did the same thing as IE did. It just sits there with the downloading box open, but no transfering of data.

So why will both browsers let me access the Internet and view images on her computer..... but not allow me to actually download stuff (it will let me right click and save images, on both browsers though). PS: No it's not just firefox's site- this was one of millions of sites that don't let me do this. I also tried downloading java support for her computer through suns site and it didnt work either...

Any suggestions other than format and reinstall? Could it be a virus of some sort? This thing is running open with no antivirus support :eek:. I really need help, since this is my parents primary rig. It's giving them a bad impression towards the internet that they are paying for ;).

Have U tried under control panel/internet options to see if the security tab is set to the default or medium setting?

I'm going to try FTPing. I have been able to upload to my FTP server from my parents computer via IE, but I haven't tried FTP client downloading or IE downloading after being logged in to an ftp server. To download from a client will require me to have to email one to them lol. I'll get right on it.

Internet settings on firefox are set at default. IE is set to medium on security and privacy is set to medium high. It still won't download at any setting. :(

Last edited:
OK- from an FTP client, I can download files. But there still an issue with downloading files from firefox or internet explorer. Any suggestions?

I'll try that, but I fear that it will require java, which my moms computer doesn't have, because of the download issue.

BUMP!

I'm going to try a scan by whatever method I can.

Funny, it can download virus definitions just fine for online virus scans... :( It's scanning now...

Last edited:
Ok - this is a far shot, but something to try. The IP stack may be horked a bit on her pc. Remove tcpip from the network settings, reboot, then add it back, reboot after adding. Do you want detailed instructions on this?

Does she have a download manager? If she does, try downloading something without it. maybe that program file is corrupt.

Last edited:
If it is becoming that much of a problem, it might be worth Biting the bullet and reformatting.

Back