• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OOOPS! Wrong chip on this board! BE6II - Pent III 1Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sam

Registered
I have had an old BE6 II kicking around, and I wanted to get it going so without thinking I picked up a 1 Ghz Pent III, I got a good deal on it....
THe BE6 is only meant to take up to an 800. So to get it to run, i need to run it at 7.5 multiplier... well thats what a buddy of mine said.... and he said the video card is gonna be running at 88 Mhz....

I am new to overclocking..... done lots of reading but this is my first real attempt....I modified the case for this set up with a 120mm exaust fan and a 120mm intake to get the air flowing... I got a good, lapped, heatsink.... blue orb on the mobo northbridge... blue orb on the video card, with heatsinks on the Radeon 32 MB DDR ram chips, all lapped with arctic silver ad. to hold it all down.

Now, anyone got any suggestions on how I can get this thing to fly? I am really hesitant to try it, scared to fry it....

What voltage can I go up to? It says 1.7 on the chip??? I know this thing wont overheat cause I have good cooling, but what can I possibly do wrong to fry it?

Just try it. The multiplier is locked so it will go to 7.5x no matter what the mobo is set at.
It will just lock up if its not going to work.

Well once you get it running well at default speed start raising the frequency (fsb) to the next setting until you get lockups.
Then try raising the vcore voltage. I would not go over 2.0v and make sure your cpu temps stay normal.
If you have a 133mhz 1ghz cpu it takes very good componets to go much higher than 133 and with a bx chipset its even harder due to the agp bus getting very far out of spec.
Goodluck.

As Placid said, just try it, but if you are hesitant then go into your bios to the "User Settings" and set your FSB to 100, that way all your components will be in spec. Once you got it running there start to increase the FSB a bit at a time until you get to 133. If any of your peripherals don't like it it will just freeze.

I suspect you have an EB chip so it should run at 1.7 volts. You don't say what the other components are such as HD's, memory and video cards - these are probably the most important parts, other than the CPU and HSF, that will limit you in overclocking.

Are you looking at getting it to stock speed or to go higher? It will probably max out at around 1.2 with the proper cooling. A bios flash will also be helpful as it will give you a higher voltage setting in the bios for the 1G CPU.

mod: Just remembered, some BE6-2 boards exhibit a little quirk in that they don't like to run at 133 fsb, they are just fine with 132 or 134, so if you get it to 133 and it acts squirly just set fsb to 132 or 134.

I just got a PIII 1Ghz (100Mhz with S code SL4KL) slot 1 yesterday and put it onto my old Be6II with BEHXU bios. Strange thing is this bios doesnt have the setting for PIII 1Ghz (100Mhz) instead it only got setting for PIII 1Ghz (133Mhz) only so I set it to 100 x 10 manually and voila it boot into win2k PRO with no problem. After running the burnin test for 5 hrs I OC it 1100 (1.7v) and 1150 (1.75V) totally stable with no heat problem ( I have a Peltier + Alpha fans setup). I was hoping that I can OC this CPU to 1.2Ghz -1.3Ghz since I used to have the same set up on a 550E@800 so I know there is no problem with my RAM. Anyone can get this CPU to post at 1200 or more or maybe I need to burn it in more at 1150, I really disappointed with this CPU because it wont go any higher....Anyone know a special setting to get it to run at 1200 please let me know..
THANKS

What do those numbers mean??? (100x 10)???

What "burn-in" software should I use???

One more question..... as I bumb up the fsb the CPU speed will go up???

Thanks

The components I have are a Radeon 32 MB DDR, 60GB WD HDD (7200 RPM) 512 MB of RAM and SB 16 sound...

He is using a 100fsb 1ghz cpu so he sets his multiplier to x10 and 100fsb.
Yes as you raise the fsb the cpu speed goes up.
I like to use prime 95 for cpu burn-in.
Your memory is it rated 133mhz?

The agp is x2.
You raise the voltage only if you need to.
If you get errors in windows or lockups raising the cpu voltage might help if the errors or lockups are from the cpu. Raise it the smallest amount you can above 1.70 until the errors or lockups stop.
I do not like to go to 2.0v myself but some push their cpus to 2.10v.
If you do not get rid of errors or lockups by 1.95v then they are probably being caused by the memory or something else.

You can set it to auto cpu detect and see what it does or you can set it to manual and set it to 7.5x 133.

masterBTK (Jul 21, 2001 03:08 p.m.):
I just got a PIII 1Ghz (100Mhz with S code SL4KL) slot 1 yesterday and put it onto my old Be6II with BEHXU bios. Strange thing is this bios doesnt have the setting for PIII 1Ghz (100Mhz) instead it only got setting for PIII 1Ghz (133Mhz) only so I set it to 100 x 10 manually and voila it boot into win2k PRO with no problem. After running the burnin test for 5 hrs I OC it 1100 (1.7v) and 1150 (1.75V) totally stable with no heat problem ( I have a Peltier + Alpha fans setup). I was hoping that I can OC this CPU to 1.2Ghz -1.3Ghz since I used to have the same set up on a 550E@800 so I know there is no problem with my RAM. Anyone can get this CPU to post at 1200 or more or maybe I need to burn it in more at 1150, I really disappointed with this CPU because it wont go any higher....Anyone know a special setting to get it to run at 1200 please let me know..
THANKS

If you have a VIA chipset you can disable sideband in registry i could not get past where your at until i did it. But i do have the 133 CPU ive heard the 100's are harder to overclock but i'm not sure why.

Back