• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible Solution to the Infamous Two-tone Siren [Retired sticky]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
also you can put a little dab of silicone grease (dielectric) on the diode. this will allow you to not have to bend it every time you pop the cpu in and out. I learned that on the KR7A/R when it would just start misreporting the temp for no reason right after i changed cpu's

Walaka, it sounds like the problem is the probe tip not contacting the back of the CPU, so dielectric grease will make the problem worse. In any case, I was having terrible problems of the board cutting out while exiting the BIOS, running Aquamark, starting 3DMark2001. If you guys want to check for the problem, try running the Sandra Multimedia test. The board shuts down 4 out of 5 times I run the test. This is totally unacceptable.

While I found bending the probe up severely so it sticks up helps, as you start up and shut down the system, the CPU expands and contracts, eventually widening the gap, and the problem is sure to return. Plus I change CPUs a lot, and it's a hassle having to bend the damn probe up all the time.

I tried using a blob of dielectric grease and AS3, as well as a real old BIOS - no help. I also tried upping the CPU warning temp above default of 75 C. It's not the power supply as I am running a Sparkle 400W with pots bumped, which has taken me to 300+ fsb on 2.40Cs and near 4 gig on my P4 rigs with 3.0Cs. It's not cooling either as I am watercooled and CPU temps are 42 C under full load.

Does anyone know if the board can be fixed by Abit? Otherwise I'm sending it back to Newegg. It's ridiculous not knowing when the board will cut out while benching. And I am only running around 220x10 with an XP2100 at 1.85 VCORE. The more you overclock the worse it gets.

I too thought that at first I had bought a defective board, as I couldn't even seat the CPU properly. So I bent that small blue diode right back onto the motherboard but now I'm thinking that I may have pushed it too far down. I have had considerable trouble going above 1.8vcore on this board without having to listen to the drone of that alarm. Sounds a lot like this is my problem. If it wasn't such a pain in the arse to get that Volcano 11+ off of there I'd do it right now.

What you have to do is pry that sucker almost straight up. I thought I had it far up enough so that I could feel resistance when I mounted the CPU, but still I had the shutdown. I finally pried the thing up maybe 80 degrees angled up and pressed the CPU down on it. So far so good. But if you change CPUs a lot, it's a pain in the *** to make sure it's right.

Hell, maybe I should mount a coil spring under the damn proble. I e-mailed Abit about this issue and whether the board could be fixed, and they never replied. You get the jitters sometimes not knowing when the board will cut out. Unacceptable if you ask me.

I just switched my heatsinks from a "slim" copper volcano 9 to a volcano 11 and I am now getting the same problem. I noticed another poster mentioned volcano 11, perhaps it has something to do with that as well (or it's just due becouse the thing is a HUGE pain to get on/off).

Well, I just tried this and I think I ruined my CPU. I turn it on and everything goes on (all the fans and all that) but nothing happens... nothing at all, it just runs and the monitor stays off :mad:

Edit: Okay, maybe it's not the CPU, maybe it's the motherboard thats messed up now. I just took out of my other machine my other Duron and video card, replaced my mobile and FX 5700 Ultra vid card with this other duron and vid card I know is working and still nothing.... I'm not even getting any error beeps or anything like that though... ehhh this is my worst day in a while

Last edited:
JPetrillo said:
Well, I just tried this and I think I ruined my CPU. I turn it on and everything goes on (all the fans and all that) but nothing happens... nothing at all, it just runs and the monitor stays off :mad:

Edit: Okay, maybe it's not the CPU, maybe it's the motherboard thats messed up now. I just took out of my other machine my other Duron and video card, replaced my mobile and FX 5700 Ultra vid card with this other duron and vid card I know is working and still nothing.... I'm not even getting any error beeps or anything like that though... ehhh this is my worst day in a while

try clear Cmos?

Doesnt do anything... when I had to do it before, after I would set the jumper, and then turn it on, it would turn on and then off really quick - that was before all this. Now no matter what the jumper is set at to clear the cmos it just turns on and stays on, doesnt do anything. I know its a prob with the motherboard now...

I just took my ram and cpu and put it in my other system on my other board and it booted up fine, so the RAM and CPU seem to be fine... its just like the Abit board is dead or something :(

Well I donno wtf happened to mine, I dont think it had anything to do with this, but dont get me wrong... I'm going to try it again once I buy a new one! ;)

hmm i get this siren but i dont boot at all and the comp only holds power for like 3 seconds i was jus about to gte my invoice to RMA the board too anyone else have this prob ? im gonna get my stuff and put it back togther tomorrow and see what happens.

Lon3R thats pretty much exactly what happens - "but i dont boot at all and the comp only holds power for like 3 seconds"

I got mine working good now. I was able to boot up with 1.9Vcore so I know its working. And also, before when I "broke" my board... well I shorted it out, had nothing to do with this mod and it was my own fault. I got my new one the other day and its working fine at 1.9+Vcore after I did this. Before I was having trouble booting over 1.7Vcore.

i also cleared my bios and still nothing ill hook the basics up again tomorrow and see what happens i had jus put in the studs for my beatiful lol TC-4 block and installed the cpu when the case was standing up to maybe that could've been a prb ( i dont push hard when i put it in jus hold it ) well find out tomorrow ill definatley post again !!.

What you need to do is put the CMOS jumper to the clear position and switch off the PSU for 1 minute, then put it back and turn it on, you can also unplug and plug the ATX connector durring that one minute ;)

i havent hook it up agian yet after i cleared the bios to that wasnt jus a speedy rebuild reply ill put everything back togther tomorrow and do as said in this thread and by u , me/ crosses fingers

This worked great for my friends computer I helped him build. It was a poor design decision to put it where they did. It needs to make contact in order to read the temperature. Most likely when you first turn on your comp, the cpu will heat up when the voltage hits it and the diode is looking for this change in temperature. When it does not read a change in temperature it probably assumes that there is not a cpu there and shuts down giving the two tone siren. There are better ways of doing what they were trying.

Maybe I am way off base but that would be my guess as an EE!

I dont think its a poor design... I think it's just that everyone is using mobiles on these boards which are thinner than desktop CPU's

I have the problem with an old XP1700. I think there is a defect in a batch of boards. Either the sensor or the wiring or something. My early NF7-S with all black drive slots which I got 1.5 years ago does not have the problem.

Back