• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible Solution to the Infamous Two-tone Siren [Retired sticky]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There has to be another solution. I had mine going all morning at 1.9v and then bam - out of no where it shuts off and gives me that stupid two-tone siren... thats got to be the worst feeling :(

It seems like it worked perfect the 1st time I did it, but I've reset it maybe 4 times or more since then and now it just seems to not work as well :( Comeon Abit.

JPetrillo said:
There has to be another solution. I had mine going all morning at 1.9v and then bam - out of no where it shuts off and gives me that stupid two-tone siren... thats got to be the worst feeling :(

It seems like it worked perfect the 1st time I did it, but I've reset it maybe 4 times or more since then and now it just seems to not work as well :( Comeon Abit.

Agreed. If you change CPUs all the time, this workaround just doesn't cut it. While I've not had a response to e-mail about the problem, maybe if you call them you might get better luck :argue:.

I mean, it's ridiculous having to cross your fingers every time you run the Sandra Multimedia test :temper:.

i had a problem with the siren but only at really high fsb.. so wheni put AS5 on my heatsink i decided to bend that diode up to help fix my problem ... just made it worse and at alot lower fsb also ... :bang head ... gonna try removing my baord from case and playing with it out side of the case so i dont have to try and screw anything up taking of cpu inside case. i will try every method possible till im :eh?: in the face, and let you know what i come up with.... this is a the most pain in the a@@ thing i have ever had with this board.. :bang head

Xtreme Barton said:
this is a the most pain in the a@@ thing i have ever had with this board.. :bang head
Yup... Word of WARNING though... that diode will only be bent back and forth so many times before it will just break off. Each time you bend it up then put the CPU back in the socket it pushes it back down a little, you can only do it so many times... I just changed my sig to my new hardware, but it said "R.I.P. NF7-S" Just be careful and dont bend it too much at once, thats all :D And it did work for me up to about 1.9Vcore, then it came back again.

So Petrillo, you mean you broke the diode off and it didn't work? So the board won't boot or sirens all the time?

Barton, it seems the only way to get it to work is bend it way up each time you install the CPU. I still got the siren if I didn't bend it up enough (get it to stick up 1/8" above the socket). But as Petrillo says, if you change CPUs a lot, there's a lot of trial and error involved and eventually it may break off.

Clevor, the board is dead without it... that is why I have a EPoX coming in tomorrow ;) All I'm saying is the diode trick works, just dont break it off!

Sorry about the bad news. Thanks for the head's up.

Check out the Epox forums. There's a thread about the 8RDA+ vs. the 8RDA3+. A guy claims the latest Rev. 3.x version with 2-Buck phase power system is 240 fsb guaranteed. I asked for confirmation from others but no posts so far ;). It's funny that the latest NF7-S2 uses the two-phase system too (not sure about 240 fsb there).

After a month or so with no bother yesterday my computer started rebooting and then this two tone siren, this usually happenned when Priming and with lower voltages and mhz it seemed ok. So it seems I have this thing too, how pathetic for an otherwise great board!!

So i've bent it back so it's almost vertical, and I felt it bend back the other way when I forced the cpu in... fingers crossed:)

I was wandering if you guys that have done this have had the same problems reaccuring since?? And out of interest, how long for those who have done the bending and seemingly cured the two tone shut down, have you had it running fine - weeks, months, years??.....

Rich Avery said:
I was wandering if you guys that have done this have had the same problems reaccuring since??
Yes - When I had mine I was able to get up to around 1.75Vcore until I would get the siren and shut down originally. That is when I bent it up and it seemed like it was fixed forever... until I started getting up into the really high voltage ranges. The siren and shutdown came back around 1.875Vcore - I dont think its a matter of time, I think its a matter of the actual threshold.

This is such a wierd problem, i don't fully understand...

The blue thing at the top of the diode has to be touching the base of the cpu right? I really want to fix this because in winter I think i'll use those higher voltages:-/ any word from abit like a way to disable it, can the bios not be edited to fix it?? I'd like to permaneently remove this problem, how can it be made to stay on the cpu??

I'm at 1.8x220x11.5 atm which seems ok but needs alot of testing..

If I remember rightly,

2.2ghz is 1.75
2.3ghz is 1.80
2.4ghz is 1.85
2.5ghz is 1.9 ??

What I don't get though is if it's related to voltages meaning it might be ok at 1.85 but not 1.875 how can they affect whether the diode is touching or not.

Last edited:
I'm able to run 1.85 or so without the shutdown, by really prying the diode up. But just relying on that blue tip making contact (all the time), with the back of the CPU just ain't gonna cut it. I haven't had the problem the last 3 months because I haven't had that rig plugged in :p. But change CPUs, and if you didn't do it just right, and you will have the BAM! Beep/bop, beep/bop, beep/bop.

We know now cutting the wire isn't going to work. I would think the faulty diode or part can be repaired by Abit. I e-mailed them and got no response. I'd like to see others press forward here.

As I mentioned earlier, a quick test is run Sandra Multimedia four times in a row. That will flush the problem out.

As I mentioned earlier, I have the same problem with a Jetway NF2 board, with same diode setup. They also ignored my e-mail on the issue. It's possibly a faulty lot of diodes or resistors or whatever is attached to it.

Whatever it is i wouldn't mind a fix somehow, but anyway thanks to this thread I'm at 219x10.5x1.84 2.302Ghz which did prime95 for 20minutes and passed the Sandra test four times. BTW did you mean the CPU multi-media benchmark just to be sure... if so I got 21568 and 22874!!

And this is with 2x256 and 1x512 dual channel with bios in my sig... it rebooted at 2.33x10 but at least no siren so I guess a genuine system failure.

Rich Avery said:
I really want to fix this because in winter I think i'll use those higher voltages:-/ any word from abit like a way to disable it, can the bios not be edited to fix it??
I'm 99% sure I remember reading on one of the many forums I was reading threw when searching for a solution to this problem while I still had mine said it was fixed in Abit's latest BIOS update... but who wants to use their BIOS after you tried one of merlins or tictacs?! My point. you dont want to switch.

Clevor said:
We know now cutting the wire isn't going to work.
LOL... were you referring to me??

JPetrillo said:
I'm 99% sure I remember reading on one of the many forums I was reading threw when searching for a solution to this problem while I still had mine said it was fixed in Abit's latest BIOS update... but who wants to use their BIOS after you tried one of merlins or tictacs?! My point. you dont want to switch.

LOL... were you referring to me??

Yep.

Hmmmm, interesting about the BIOS update. I'll try it as my board is unmodded right now anyway, and it's time I start playing with an AMD rig again. I know I tried the latest BIOS as of two months ago and it didn't work. I never had the problem with my old NF7-S I got almost 1.5 years, so I even tried the old BIOS I had on that board - nope.

Maybe it isnt a BIOS issue then, but I could have sworn I read the latest BIOS from Abit fixed it.

I'd like to see a link saying if a newer bios fixed it, then maybe one of the bios gurus here can start using it. I bought an Antec 430w True PSU thinking it was the problem, ah well I have a solid PSU now:)

Yes, a bios fix would be nice:-/

JPetrillo said:
Maybe it isnt a BIOS issue then, but I could have sworn I read the latest BIOS from Abit fixed it.

The shutdown system is no doubt a safety measure gone awry. A BIOS fix is possible, but maybe Abit hasn't implemented it till now or needed time to figure something out.

If this is the case, hopefully the BIOS guys can find the fix and put it in future BIOSs. It seems to me the problem is primarily with the latest boards with colored IDE/floppy ports.

Sadly this didn't work for me... :cry: I have a mobile 2400+, and it's so slow at 800mhz, I'm just trying to increase the multiplier so that it runs at stock speed. Anyone think they can help?

Back