• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible Solution to the Infamous Two-tone Siren [Retired sticky]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No antenna in the middle...just little grey/black electronics and letter E in the middle...Could it be I have one without antenna ?

Folko said:
No antenna in the middle...just little grey/black electronics and letter E in the middle...Could it be I have one without antenna ?
And this IS an NF7 or an NF7-S, NOT an SG or anything like that?

Im unable to take pix for the moment, however you can google "L12 mod" to see detailed pix of the CPU socket.

It is entirely possibly that yours has broken off and is causing the siren

yes, this is S2... sided IDE connectors. Cannot find picture of the antenna, only how to put the copper wires... Sad, bought this board in the USA...returning would cost me more than the board... probably broken received. But why it rans ok at 100 fsb ?

Folko said:
yes, this is S2... sided IDE connectors. Cannot find picture of the antenna, only how to put the copper wires... Sad, bought this board in the USA...returning would cost me more than the board... probably broken received. But why it rans ok at 100 fsb ?

Heh heh, you are not seeing a mirage. Abit does not use that diode on the S2 series of boards, or the AN7 - can you guess why? That being said, I'm surprised you have the problem since the same system is not in place.

As I've said earlier, the problem seems to be overheating due to improper seating of the heatsink. Since I stopped using a digital temp probe, which prevented my sink from seating, I have had ZERO issues on three NF7-Ss and and an 8RDA3+, which uses a tape-type probe there. I have run up to 2.05 VCORE to get constipated XPs up to 2500 mhz with no more siren.

Since you are sure your heatsink is making good contact with the CPU, I can only surmise your board is defective.

Doing this seems to have lowered my possible vcore. I was able to get to 1.7 before this and Now I cant get past 1.55

On the otherhand thanks to Sent I have now pushed my Temp Probe all the way Down and I can now access a vcore up to 1.825
Thanks Sent

Last edited:
mudpark41 said:
Doing this seems to have lowered my possible vcore. I was able to get to 1.7 before this and Now I cant get past 1.55

On the otherhand thanks to Sent I have now pushed my Temp Probe all the way Down and I can now access a vcore up to 1.825
Thanks Sent
Np:D Thanks for letting us know that pushing it down also fixes the problem. I never thought of that

i started getting the siren after i reinstalled my CPU. I tried to bend the probe out more but i still got the siren. i tried pushing it in after that like mudpark41 did, and whattaya know, no more siren.

I just started having this problem yesterday. You guys seem to know what's going on so I'm hoping you have some suggestions for me.

I'm wondering if the quality of the thermal paste I'm using could possibly cause this two-tone siren? The processor looks fine, I've reseated it and done the diode trick but I'm still getting the siren. The system/CPU temperature is fine. I've let it run in BIOS for 20 minutes and it never gets over 52 degrees.

That's a pic of my socket.

Sometimes when I boot I can get into BIOS and it will stay there indefinitely. Sometimes it gets as far as starting to load Windows and then it restarts. Sometimes it switches off as soon as I start it. THe motherboard is only a couple of months old. The CPU is a couple of years old. Just wondering if this is the excuse I need to upgrade the processor?

Thanks guys. I hope someone can help.

Last edited:
where does the siren come from?

Well, since a few of you guys have had the siren happen, i was wondering if the siren comes from the board or from the speaker? I do not have my speaker connected right now. I don't think the siren is going off because i am not getting any of the symptoms others have described.

It comes from the speaker. I've got my case in front of me, open, doing this as we speak. I've changed up my fan and hard drive just to be sure it's not one of them causing a problem. It's either the chip, board or power supply. I'm ready to chuck it all in the bin and invest in a new system. banghead.gif

newbie help

hello
i have just installed a new motherboard abit gdpro and new processor intel pent4 3.2 ghrz
with a new graphics card 256 mg
(not sure if all this is relevant for help)
computer seems to work fine
cept...when i load fifa 2007 in
i get the two tone siren
only when playing the game
when setting up the game it is fine. I opened the computer and it seemed very hot. I have of course a cpu fan
but wondered
A. do i need another fan in the puter
B. Is there maybe a problem that you guys have mentioned with the diode thing and if so can you help a newbie to fixing it

thanks for your time guys:confused:
cheers

Back