• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In the market for a new TV.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tacoman667

I am in the market for a new TV. I have a Panasonic 27" that is about 5 years old. The darned Component input jacks have blown because I get terrible feedback with different colors displaying on the screen. Unless someone knows what the hell is going on and how I could fix it, I need a new TV. Any ideas where I can get one of same size for a good price? Thanks in advance.

You could try getting it fixed at a reputable TV repair shop in your area. If the damage isn't too serious, I doubt it will cost any more than $20-50 (ask for an estimate first).

If you have to get it replaced, and aren't willing to spend to much, this JVC as well as this Toshiba look decent enough. From my experience, the only brand I would avoid is RCA; the one my family had was junk.

Last edited:
I really like my 27" Panasonic too. Seems that the only problem I have is the feedback sounds from VIDEO1 <Component Cable> and slight increase in the color in VIDEO2.

I got a Samsung Dynaflat tv about a year ago. I have been quite pleased. It was a big step up in quality from my old one and has plenty of inputs for all my junk.

no complaints from my sony, flat screen 32". but a bit over what your price range is I believe. Around 800-1000

I have and highly recommend the Orion 27" available from Wal-Mart for $177. Doesnt have component video but does have s-video and a/v outs on back and a/v inputs on front. I know 4 people that own them and are very happy with the quality and picture.

Being that I am a huge component/AV/S-Vid junkie, I need component jacks the most. Component inputs are better quality pictures then the S-Video, but I suppose that for $177, that Orion could do ok.

All I can say is with televisions you get what you pay for. Keep that in mind.

Sony 27" Wega's have about the best picture for around half a grand, as long as you don't end up with one that has a warped corner. In that case return it and get another one. :p

Sometimes you can get a good deal when the new years models come out. I saved $250 on my tv by buying a floor model from BB. It was in good shape and came with the warranty. Also my samsung has 2 sets of component inputs plus 2 s-video I believe.

Nimblor said:
Sometimes you can get a good deal when the new years models come out. I saved $250 on my tv by buying a floor model from BB. It was in good shape and came with the warranty. Also my samsung has 2 sets of component inputs plus 2 s-video I believe.

Samsungs, in my experience, have more of a glare then most TV's. At least this is the case in the big-screen, internal projection ones.

As for the new year models, that kind of "sale" is once a year in November or so right?

Well, in my opinion, you shouldn't buy the same type. Go for the gold and get a giant flat HD. We did, and couldn't be happier. Even for a while, I had two flat 25ish ones in my room.. And they were awesome.

I am not sure when the floor model sales happen.

I belive you will get the HD benefits if you have a progressive scan DVD with the appropriate outputs. You would not get HDcable though without a decoder.

You might not be looking to spend $$$$ on a giant HD. You can get a good HDTV for around $400. It may not be flat but it wont burn out in 5 years either.

I'd just go to an electronics store (Circuit City, Good Guys) and see which TVs you like. Then try to find deals on them if you can.

one of my friends is going to college and wants a tv, any places online that sell em for cheap? (besides eBay...)

my personal fav is Sony, They last forever and the pic quality in unsurpassed. I had 27" trinitron that was like 10 years old and was doing great till my ex g-friend stole it from me. f**kin bish Im sure its still workin. :)

Back