• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally broke 900 w/ 733

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfodda

I finally broke the 900 barrier with my PITA 733! Woohoo!!! ...and just had to come in and troll for an "Attaboy!" :D

She hasn't crashed yet, anyway. Ran a couple of hours of Sandra Burn-in and a couple of 3DMark2k passes. It may be a different story after she runs SETI all night though. :)

Check out the sig! (I think I updated it.)

3DMark2k 4185
Sandra 2452/1231
(both with SETI running)

CPU 38C
System 34C
(5-7C warmer than at 733)

Attaboy, Way To go, Good Job, All right, *pat on the back*, etc.

Congrats on the faster machine!

Thanks guys. But there's trouble in paradise.

I woke up this morning to a lockup. This has happened before at lower clock speeds. The system seemed to be in a suspend mode but wouldn't wake up. Reset button. POST freezes just before drive IDs. A few more resets with the same results and I try to get into BIOS. No go. Try pulling the plug to reset chip speed. Nope. Finally (first time ever) use the clear CMOS jumper.

While the side is off, I restart and see that the CPU fan isn't turning. Immediately turn it off. Try a couple of more times. Same thing. Grab the heatsink, and it's blazing... well, okay, not burning my skin off, but still damned hot. Use a 3 to 4 pin power adapter for the HSF and the fan turns fine. Reset to default speeds. Everything's peachy now. Boot, BIOS, WinME, everything.

Except I can't get ANY fan to power up off the CPU fan header. Probe pins 1 & 3 and I get around 3.3VDC (I'm assuming that these are the power pins). Tried 3 different fans on it with no luck. They just lurch at power-on and don't turn anymore. I have a stock Intel fan plugged into it now. VIA HM reports 7475 or 8450 RPM. Again, it ain't turnin'. Unplug the fan while powered up and it correctly shows 0 RPM. Plug it back in, shows the fictional RPM.

Has anyone ever burned up a fan header? Or am I overlooking something simple here? All feedback will be appreciated.

Back