• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question: Just what exactly is a Tutaulin(Sp?) P3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KrK

Somehow I missed something. I'm aware there are these :"new" chips that are Tutaulin(sp) out there, but know nothing about what makes them different from a FCPGA P3 Chip, and so I have questions....

Do they require a different Pinout? Will they run on BX Boards? Is a "Coppermine-T" a Tutualin?

More importantly, can I run a Coppermine-T on my Abit BX6 2.0 with my FCPGA Iwill Slocket II?

Anyone with any info would be MUCH appreciated!
Thanks!

KrK

I'll have to dissapoint you: the tualatin won't work on your current PIII mobo...
that's because it uses a) different core voltage b) uses lower i/o voltage...
I think Coppermine-T is indeed the Tualatin (I shoudn't know what else it would be )

The Stickie (Jul 30, 2001 08:02 a.m.):
I'll have to dissapoint you: the tualatin won't work on your current PIII mobo...
that's because it uses a) different core voltage b) uses lower i/o voltage...
I think Coppermine-T is indeed the Tualatin (I shoudn't know what else it would be )

There is an adapter from powerleap called the Neo+ that will alow you to use a p3-T in almost any socket 370 board.

-Trek

KrK (Jul 30, 2001 07:42 a.m.):
Somehow I missed something. I'm aware there are these :"new" chips that are Tutaulin(sp) out there, but know nothing about what makes them different from a FCPGA P3 Chip, and so I have questions....

Do they require a different Pinout? Will they run on BX Boards? Is a "Coppermine-T" a Tutualin?

More importantly, can I run a Coppermine-T on my Abit BX6 2.0 with my FCPGA Iwill Slocket II?

Anyone with any info would be MUCH appreciated!
Thanks!

KrK

tell yah what
if you really want a detailed report on the Coppermine T, buy me one, ship it to me, and ill gladly post my results :)

KrK (Jul 30, 2001 07:42 a.m.):

Do they require a different Pinout? Will they run on BX Boards? Is a "Coppermine-T" a Tutualin? More importantly, can I run a Coppermine-T on my Abit BX6 2.0 with my FCPGA Iwill Slocket II?

If we get enough wrong answer to this, then one of the smart guys will come in and straighten us out. :D This is how I remember the last description of this:

.The Tualatin is a .13 micron P3 with lower voltage requirements than the "old" P3. It's designed for server apps.

.The Coppermine-T is a .18 P3 with the same voltage requirements as the Tualatin. It's to be a step between P3 and Tualatin, and able to be used in Tualatin MBs.

.Tualatins won't work in an "old" P3 board.

.Coppermine-Ts will work in some "old" boards with BIOS updates (like some Abits), or slockets, or chicken bones and one-legged monkeys. :)

.Don't know if it'll work in your BX6 2.0 with a slocket.

Now, someone come in and grade me and tell me how well I did.

OK, well, here's a bunch of information, all nice and conflicting :)

The Info about the Coppermine-T is interesting. I'm not sure the voltage issue is such a big deal, I believe I can go all the way down to 1.3 volts on this board, and even if it's slightly "overvoltage" it shouldn't be fatal with a good cooling. I guess I will be finding out, since I just bought a Coppermine-T off a guy in the For/Sale area. I think it's all going to come down to the pinouts. Would kinda suck to have to buy ANOTHER Slocket, but ....

Anyone else with more info, it's appreciated :)

KrK (Jul 30, 2001 07:15 p.m.):
OK, well, here's a bunch of information, all nice and conflicting :)

The Info about the Coppermine-T is interesting. I'm not sure the voltage issue is such a big deal, I believe I can go all the way down to 1.3 volts on this board, and even if it's slightly "overvoltage" it shouldn't be fatal with a good cooling. I guess I will be finding out, since I just bought a Coppermine-T off a guy in the For/Sale area. I think it's all going to come down to the pinouts. Would kinda suck to have to buy ANOTHER Slocket, but ....

Anyone else with more info, it's appreciated :)

Like I said, I may be wrong. Hoping some of the big dogs take time to read and straighten us out. :) BTW, the -T you're buying... is that from the guy who would only accept cash?

He said he wanted cash, but I told him I felt it was too risky, and got him to agree to a Postal Money Order, which he can cash at the Post Office.

sorry but i dont have much to offer but i do know that you can put a Tualatin in a older MB like the Abit VH6-2 it does require a BIOS update to get her going though, Compuwife i'm not sure about your MB you will have to look and see what kind of a BIOS update your MB has if it does not have a T on the end or describe it as exactly for the Tualatin then i'm afraid your out of luck.

compuwife (Jul 31, 2001 08:31 p.m.):
Anyone know if it'll work on my p3v4x board?
(just curious - not really considering buying one)

I believe your board maxes out at 800 or 1 gig. Depending on the bios. Mine was only supposed to be good for a gig, but had higer settings (newer board) for above the gig level.........does yours?

well asus still claims that the p3v4x only runs up to 800mhz chips however it can support i g chips (people have done this), but i dont think that the coppermine-t will be supported (asus hasnt made a bios update since last october, adn that was a beta)...and the tualitin defninitely wont be supported

Isn't the tualatin supposed to have 512 KB of L2 on-die cache ? (something I read )

alex (Aug 02, 2001 01:54 a.m.):
Isn't the tualatin supposed to have 512 KB of L2 on-die cache ? (something I read )

it comes in 2 flavors
(cookies and cream) 512kb of cache
(vanilla) 256kb of cache

Back