• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Computer heats up my room!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Digital_Cowboy

Does anyone else have this problem, I have all the a/c vents closed everywhere in my house except for my computer room and it's still the hottest room in the house. This thing produces a lot of heat.

Digital_Cowboy said:
Does anyone else have this problem, I have all the a/c vents closed everywhere in my house except for my computer room and it's still the hottest room in the house. This thing produces a lot of heat.

What are your case temps? CPU temps? These temps will tell you if it's really your computer or the fact that you are using your houses AC system wrong.

Try opening up all your AC vents in the house. You are actually trying to force all the cold air into one room and AC systems do not work like that. The hot air in your computer room really has no place to go because all the other rooms in the house are already warm. If you cool them down then the hot air in you computer room has somewhere to escape to making conditions better for your system. Try making your whole house the same temp. and see what that does for you.

Last edited:
#1 Cause for heat is the monitor, especially if you have a fan in it. I do, and my room is 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the house =/

Same with me, I dont find it as a problem though, my room has NO heating whatsoever, so I use my rig as a heater :)

Whenever it gets too hot I open the window, 10min later everything is nice and cooled down, my window is always open - at least a crack.

Last edited:
Yuriman said:
Yea, open all the vents, and put a fan in the doorway, like a large box fan. Thats what I do.

do you blow the fan in or out of the room?

Originally posted by rxc
I find that my body is heating up the room more than the computer :)

lol

Originally posted by honda_man
What are your case temps? CPU temps? These temps will tell you if it's really your computer or the fact that you are using your houses AC system wrong.

Case temp: 34c
CPU temp: 33c
PSU temp: 39c

JoT said:
#1 Cause for heat is the monitor, especially if you have a fan in it. I do, and my room is 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the house =/

My monitor is a LCD monitor, so if I remember correctly, my old 19"CRT was hotter. It does get warm though.

I have 6 in my cellar: 5 AMD and one Intel.
All overclocked.
4 watercooled.

No other heat in this section of the cellar.

Window is cracked open all winter long and temp doesn't go under 67f. ;)

Ensure proper air circulation and you should be able to balance temps out, but plain and simple, a computer DOES add heat to a room- how much depends on how fast the chip is and the voltage going to it, mainly: a chip that puts out 100 watts of heat will do so regardless of the temp it runs at- only the cpu temp will change with a better cooling system.

That's why many of us used to refer to AMD Athlons as " AMD space heaters." :D
(PIIIs ran much cooler.)

yeah, it's kinda a catch-22. My PC heats up my room and when my room gets hotter, so does my pc because the watercooler is sucking the hotter room air in. :bang head

My pc definetly keeps my room warm... i close my door at night, and when I leave my room in the morning i hit a cold wall of air when i open the door. All my vents are closed as well as the window... cause i too live in Canada, and I cant stand playing Ut04 with stiff cold fingers.

Stagnant Air

Digital_Cowboy said:
yeah, it's kinda a catch-22. My PC heats up my room and when my room gets hotter, so does my pc because the watercooler is sucking the hotter room air in. :bang head

I would still recommend that you open all vents in your house. I am OSHA(Occupational Safety and Health) certified. I am a program manager for indoor air qualityin a major industrial facitlity. In my knowledge of the field I would definetely say that you need AC going to all rooms in the house. This WILL solve some of the problem. Your AC system is NOT designed to cool only one room. What you are doing is trapping heat in one room by closing off the rest of the vents. I urge you to try opening all the vents in the house and see if it helps you, especially where you are located at. This will be a serious issue for you come the summer months.

Either you guys have rooms the size of a closet or the ventilation in your house sucks ***. There is no way that one computer is going to raise your room temp 10°

My computer room used to be a poorly-insulated room in an old farmhouse. I had to run a space heater (the real kind, not an Athlon :) ) to keep warm. Now, in my new house with in-floor radiant heat, I'm plenty warm and so is my computer, unfortunately. My house is a pretty open layout, so I don't notice much warming around the computer area.

Ken

Back