• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2cents on safe guarding your vmod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repilce

If your gonna do a V mod on anything that you'll use a Varible resistor (POT, VR) whateva you wanna call it...

i would recommend that you take an amount of the VR rating you would get and compensate for a fixed resistor to make up for it ..
that way you wont go 0.00 resitance on something and take a MAJOR risk on frying it (not that you dont vmoding anyways :D )

but say if your gonna use a 15K POT...
i'd go with a 10K pot and a fixed 5K resitor in the line.. that way you cant go below 5K..

For most applications this safeguarding shouldn't interfere whith just how much juice you want to get out of something...

Let's not get crazy here folks..:drool:

As for another example on my vcore mod and my vdimm mod i use 10K pot's with 4.7K fixed resistors on the line as well.. that way i dont smoke my cpu or ram..

for my particular setup this means on my cpu the the most gain i can get will be around .5V above whatever my setting in bios is.. even if i turn my 10K pot to zero.. but this is plenty for me .. it will give me right past 2.2V when set to 1.75 but my board has a trip @ 2.17 anyways.. but some boards dont..

Its a good idea, but not really necessary if you monitor the voltage carefully. Actually a 10K vr has a minimum resistance of around 2.8K. It will never go to 0K. It's running range is from 9.8K down to around 2.8K, at least all the ones I have seen.

With all the A64's that have died as a result of the Vdimm mod and fluctuating voltages, many guys have doubled up the 1K vr's to try for more stable V and it does seem to work better:)

That's a very good idea and one I follow ever since killing my Geforce 4200 when I first got it. No matter how careful you are things happen. You can be an electronic guru and still make that one mistake of lowering the pot too much so I really advise using a fixed safety resistor in series with the pot.

Back