• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solution: Mobile Barton 2500+ and 13x multiplier and above

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
fatboy, people are trying this on factory locked CPUs all over the place (!).

Please put a colorful disclaimer up there that this will not work with new factory multiplier locked CPUs to save a lot of people a lot of time and grief.

c627627 said:
fatboy, people are trying this on factory locked CPUs all over the place (!).

Please put a colorful disclaimer up there that this will not work with new factory multiplier locked CPUs to save a lot of people a lot of time and grief.

Done.

I had "Mobile" in the title and didn't expect people to try this on locked Bartons. I guess not everyone realizes that the Mobile and Desktop are different when it comes down to this sort of thing (at least from when AMD started locking the desktop CPU's!).

Apologies to anyone who tried this on a locked CPU - this was not intented to be any fix for this.

I'm trying this in about 30 minutes. Wish me luck

If I don't show up for a while, I cooked my processor. I don't think it'll happen, however :p

Oni said:
fatboy: YGPM. I need confirmation on the orentation of the processor in the pic. Is that the topside, or the underside?

This is TOPSIDE. Looking at the socket as you would put the CPU in. Align according to the corners and missing pings.

Yeah, I got that after I did it, and had a bit of a look around.

An Addendum: This trick ONLY gives you multipliers of 13 and above. Any attempt to set them LOWER than 13 only results in multipliers of 20 or so. So setting 12 or 12.5 will give you a mult of 24 etc. This is unfortunate to say the least, but I think I can live with it. I'll have to see what the overclocking gods have to say about this. I may end up removing it. We'll see.

Thanks for finally doing it Oni.

With my PC2700 RAM I'd say I'll put the wire in straight away, why all the complaining about the low range, I mean 12.5 x 166 = 2075 MHz and who needs that when 13 x 166 should not be a problem whatsoever for this OC champ? Then it's on up from there with higher multipliers.

Well first the higher FSB, then the multipliers.

Last edited:
Right now I'm running 13x192, but unfortunately, I have to frankenstien the processor to get it there (1.85 Vcore), and my cooling solution is not exactly adequate for such an endevor (Alpha PAL 8045 w/ a Sunon 80mm). Right now under Prime load it's at 67c. That's not good, considering. I think I may just remove the wire loop, and see what I can do w/ 12.5.

Also, like I was saying about multiples of two when going lower than 13: I figured if I wanted 12x again, I could just run 6x to get it (6*2=12). Well, I tried it, and the system won't POST when I do it. I can't go below 13, no matter what.

just a small tiny speaker wire mod eh??? hmmmmm, might come in handy when i get my sp97 and panaflow since my asus wont do 210fsb grrr

I was thinking of trying the wire tricks on ocinside, and when I saw your post I decided to try it on my
MSI K7N2G-ILSR(166FSB) which I had been only able to run my 2500 XP-M at 12.5x174(2175).

When I did the wire above wire mod, it posted with a 14X multiplier with cmos in auto(H/W) cpu ratio, which was limited to 12.5 before.
Higher multipliers were somewhat available.
Anyway, with the wire mod I am able to run 14x174(2436). A nice improvement.

fatboy - thanks for posting your summary.
I would be really interested in hearing the results on other motherboards.

Sorry to sound stupid, but I just got a Barton 2400m and only have up to 13x on my motherboard(Epox 8KTA3+). Does this mean if I select 10x or something it'll be mapped to the higher multipliers? The purpose of the Barton-m was as a cheap $75 upgrade, I don't plan to switch mobo's or buy the XP-TMC

neither

neither. Its a Kt133A which is why I'm asking if I drop the copper in and then set a BIOS multiplier, will it remap automatically?

Yes, its the 2400XP-M Barton.

Foxbat - sorry but I don't really know about the KT133.

I have tried my 2500XP-M in a new Via KT600 board and the result was that the multiplier was locked at 14, which did allow me to see what the CPU could do even though the FSB was less than 200.
I didn't have any multiplier choices, and I did not try the above wire mod.

on my epox 8KRA2+, i have access to all multis...at least 13 and below w/out the wire mod...i'll have to see if i can get 14X and see what happens...i know that on the msi kt6 delta, the mobiles are locked w/a 15x multi and not adjustable.....haven't heard if any kt6 users have been successful using the wire trick....

KT3 locked multies on Mobiles?

I have an 2600+ Mobile XP on a KT3 Ultra ARU. It will not run above 158 x 15.I cannot get any of the multies to work. I can select any of them, but they do not change. Will this wire trick allow me to select the 13x and up multies? I can change the default Vcore using the wire/pin mod. But I tried to set my processor at a default of 14x multi, but it still shows 15x. :(

My KT600 is an MSI KT6 Delta and the mobile 2500 is locked at 14. The latest BIOS recognizes it as an XP-M.
I haven't tried wire trick on this board, but would like to know if some one has tried it.

I sent several e-mails to MSI tech support and got several replies for more info each time, but have not heard anything more yet. I guess at least they answered a couple of times unlike Shuttle or Asus.

i can boot into windows @ 200x13.5 on my board but nothing doing with 200x14...i can only get 2.0V for vcore, tho so that may be it....

If you are worried that your CPU might become a little off balance because of the wire in the socket, use an old IDE cable. Once you untwist it, it is very fine; I need a magnifying glass to see the bloody thing in the socket.

Back