• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solution: Mobile Barton 2500+ and 13x multiplier and above

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fatboy

Registered
Solution: MOBILE (Only) Barton 2500+ and 13x multiplier and above

This is for MOBILE CPU ONLY which are already factory unlocked

This will not help with locked desktop CPU's.

I had this issue on a Biostar Ultra motherboard and I know others have this issue where multipliers above 12.5x are not available.

This has been answered before, but it took some digging to find the information and I thought a summary was in order.

I used the "Socket wire trick" which involves taking a thin thread of copper wire (a single stand from a speaker wire I had), creating a tiny "U" and dropping into the socket hole.

The attached diagram shows the two holes that need to be connected. For me, this was the *only* connection I needed to gain access to the higher multipliers. Note that you will need to remove it if for some reason you need the lower multiplers again.

Attachments

• socket.jpg
    socket.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 36,788
Last edited:
Yep its a good thing to know. I knew that eventually some one would ask this. Seems like the wire tricks have gone the way of the buffalo, with all these new MBs doing the trick for you. Yes, some of us still have to suffer.

I also just got a m2400 and cant go above 12.5 and now I under stand why !!! Thanks guys. However I can go above a 200FSB either. It is stable at 200X12.5 but at 201 it wont load windows. Will the wire mod fix this as well or do I have another issue. I have a kt600 board.

no the wire trick will not fix that problem. specially not on a KT600.
On some nForce2 mobos doing the L12 trick (making CPU have 166 or 200MHz FSB as its default) sometimes helped, but not on the KT600 boards.

This is good to know, and should warrant a sticky.

However, it's unfortunate that you lose multipliers below 13 when you do this. If I could have it both ways, I'd be on it like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Also, I would imagine that using conductive paint would work as well. Worth a try if you don't feel comfortable doing this mod due to the fact that your processor may be lifted above the socket a bit.

wait is this problem only on biostar mobos or does it exist on other mobos as well ex: abit NF7 which i am going to buy in a few months, i agree this is worthy of a sticky

Busty St. Clair said:
wait is this problem only on biostar mobos or does it exist on other mobos as well ex: abit NF7 which i am going to buy in a few months, i agree this is worthy of a sticky

Should probably work on other motherboards as well. Worth a try anyway.

The deal is only Abit, Soltek and DFI nForce2s post all multipliers on all factory multiplier unlocked CPUs without any wire tricks or mods.

Oni said:
This is good to know, and should warrant a sticky.

However, it's unfortunate that you lose multipliers below 13 when you do this. If I could have it both ways, I'd be on it like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Also, I would imagine that using conductive paint would work as well. Worth a try if you don't feel comfortable doing this mod due to the fact that your processor may be lifted above the socket a bit.

|
|
|
V

c627627 said:
Yeah, I tested it with multiplie chips to find out that if the default multiplier is 13 or higher, 8RDA+ then posts all multipliers, begging the question, why not try a simple 20 second wire trick and see Oni?

The Coolest said:
no the wire trick will not fix that problem. specially not on a KT600.
On some nForce2 mobos doing the L12 trick (making CPU have 166 or 200MHz FSB as its default) sometimes helped, but not on the KT600 boards.

i am running an unlocked desktop barton in my sig on an abit KV7 which is KT600. my 2400+ will be here tomorrow, and i was already curious about the L12 mod after seeing mixed results on fsb overclocks with these chips. L12 mod won't help me because of my VIA chipset? i'm curious because i run 220fsb 24/7 with no issues now, and was going to give the mobile chip the same fsb+.
i realize i don't have agp/pci locks but other than that is there any other reason why the L12 mod would be unsuccessful with the KT600 chipset?

quick question for clarification. That is the picture of the socket and not the cpu right?, and do you know if this will work on a m2400+ also?

imaboutaquit said:
quick question for clarification. That is the picture of the socket and not the cpu right?, and do you know if this will work on a m2400+ also?

I would imagine that it would work on any M-Barton, regardless of speed (unless they already have the 13x multiplier)

As for orientation, notice that on two of the corners there are no pins on the very edge. Point those down, just like on the pic.

imaboutaquit said:

Yes, this is a picture of the socket. For me, dropping a small "U" shaped strand of wire into the socket holes is easiest.

I did this for an M2500+. I don't see any reason why this would not work for a M2400+ as well. If you look at:-

Pin Layout

And select "Socket View" you will see that for all multipliers >= 13x these two holes are connected. I saw that others had been successful with hardcoding a multiplier >13x to get access to the higher multipliers. I tried this shortcut that worked for me.

just a thought, you could do this on the back of the motherboad surely? and just attach a switch for when you wanted lower multi's?

Back