• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOL CHECK OUT MY FRIENDS COMPUTER!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GERRY136

this antique has these components:

tiny Acer monitor
500mb hd
75mhz Socket 5 processor
16 mb ram
u could imagine how slow this thing is!!!!!
but it runs perfect and i even got on line.
he wants me to see what i can get out of it powerwise. where are some links to upgrading this 75mhz (says pentium on front of case).
and what the hell is up with the tiny sticks of ram and can it be upgraded? it looks like the slots are full and right now its 16mb. lol
thanx all

The tiny sticks of ram are called simms (edo).
Its old sheet.
Hed be better saving for a duron and a cheap socket A board.

gdog (Aug 04, 2001 02:11 p.m.):
The tiny sticks of ram are called simms (edo).
Its old sheet.
Hed be better saving for a duron and a cheap socket A board.

I have to agree I would leave it be as even if you could upgrade it it would still be to slow.

GERRY136 (Aug 04, 2001 04:40 a.m.):
this antique has these components:

tiny Acer monitor
500mb hd
75mhz Socket 5 processor
16 mb ram
u could imagine how slow this thing is!!!!!
but it runs perfect and i even got on line.
he wants me to see what i can get out of it powerwise. where are some links to upgrading this 75mhz (says pentium on front of case).
and what the hell is up with the tiny sticks of ram and can it be upgraded? it looks like the slots are full and right now its 16mb. lol
thanx all

P75's are good for 90 (and some will do 100) without extra cooling. You should be able to get a p166 (non-MMX) to run in that board.

The SIMMs might not be EDO, they might just be FPM (Fast Page Mode). The best place to look for upgrades is secondhand comp dealers, or in the UK we have a magazine called 'MicroMart' that is mainly Classified ads, and you'll be able to find old kit there.

IMO get more RAM, as I have a 486 DX2/66 (won't OC) with 40Mb RAM running win98 at a usable (although slow) pace.

how do i get the 100mhz, in the bios or multiplier on the chip.?
ive done some oc before but never something this old and never seen an intel chip.

Firstly you have to ID the mobo (either by BIOS string, or writing on the board) If you use BIOS string, the place to go is Wim's BIOS Page.

Once the board has been ID'd, then you have to find the user guide (use google).

Once found, chances are you'll have to set jumpers on the board to whatever setting you want to get it to (100). Old mobo's don't have BIOS adjustments!

If it BSODs, thn set it down to 90.

BTW, My first OC was a p75 at 100.

I had something similar to this as my main two years ago. I plugged a 233MMX in that S5 board, but the board held me to 175MHz. (it was a Dell Dimension P75 desktop)

Bear in mind that the old SIMMS in these rigs have to be installed in matched pairs (found this one out the hard way...lol). That board might support up to 128MB of ram (mine would), but the old SIMM stuff is oddly enough more expensive than the newer SDRAM. (go figure that one out....)

Celeron 600's and mobo's that support them are pretty inexpensive, if you shop around. I'd retire that P I rig and build from scratch, IMHO.

Cheers!

Mr B

Hey,

Wow sounds like an old beater like I have floating around here, there are some easy upgrades though I went to powerleap.com and looked around, was going to get one of the upgrades for my old old old computer (as I had previously got one to get my 233mmx to a 500amd).. but my brother had an old old kingston chip that you pluged into it..

Never did get it to work one of the kids bused a pin on it..

Well where was I goiing with this..

Ah yeah check out and see what kinda easy plug-in upgrade you can get, I bet ya'd be suprised... Good luck overclocking it. and I still have some edo stics around here some where .. got an old 386 and 486 in here... good think I kept 'em.

Powersupplies are still good, need to conver them though but they'll run pelts, and the tape drives can still be used.. and the 1.44mb drives are pretty much never out dated...

*continues rambling*

-Trek

Silver arrow said:
My friend has a working 286 16MHz, 50MB HDD and 2MB RAM. WITH COLOR!!! :) :) :)

So, I got a 286 working in da basement right now and I know all the specs,

UNISYS Micro 286/12+

Intel 286 12MHz Processor
1MB Micron 40-pin ram.
42MB Western Digital Hard Drive (STILL WORKS!)
512KB Cirrus Logic Video Card
5 1/4 Floppy Drive with 1.2MB Technology :)

I also have the worlds most pimped Intel 486 Computer. The fastest ever to date I believe,

Intel 486 DX4/100 @ 133MHz (4x33) O/Ced
Intel 486Pro Board with 2 pci & 6 ISA onboard
32MB EDO-Ram (72-pin)
10GB 7200rpm Maxtor Hard Drive
Hercules 3D Prophet II PCI 32MB
Sound Blaster Live! Plantinum
5X Sony DVD-Rom 5x24
HP CD-Writer Plus 8200i 4x4x24
19" Monitor!

NOTE: This computer plays Quake2 and Unreal with 30+fps all the time! @ 800x600x16 with everything maxed!

Cheers!

Back