• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Mobo need memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bashar

I posted this in the mobo forums but I guess its better placed here.

I just got a combo mobo/cpu today from Fry's. Its a AN35N ultra400 mobo with a retail AMD 2700+ (with fan and 3 year warnt) for $149. I looked around and that price looks like a good deal. I did a search here but did not find what I was after so here are a few things I would like to know.

1- My CPU runs at 333 so from what I understand if I get PC3200 that runs at 200Mhz it will only run the speed of PC2700 (166Mhz) if I dont OC my mobo? So the only reason for getting PC3200 over PC2700 would be price or if I plan on OC my mobo.

2- I now have 1gig ( 2x512 )of kingston PC2100. Would it be better to get 512 of the faster stuff? Or would it be about the same?

Sorry if this stuff is basic but its been awhile since I did a mobo and cpu upgrade and things have changed alot.

if u dont care much about oc'ing your cpu, why dont u try oc'ing your pc2100 and see if it runs 166. if it does then u can run stock speed for what u already have, if it doesnt then find some inexpensive pc2700. or if u want to overclock to get more performance, see how fast the pc2100 will go, if i i doesnt oc well then get some inexpensive pc3200 that will give u a little headroom...

Bare in mind, the an35n ultra has a vdimm only as high as 2.7V. That might limit ocing a little. but got my 333 memory to 404 with no prob.

Ok thanks for the info.... I have one more thing to ask about. It use to be more ram was better. But reading threads in here I see some people going with set-ups like 2x256 mgs of fast ram. So am I still right in thinking a 512mg stick is good and adding another one later for 1gig? Or would it be better to get some dual chan 256mgs sticks? Now I see why there are some many theads with people confused about ram :)

Best to go dual channel what ever u choose. U can only go dual with 2or3 sticks( slots 1& 3or 2&3).If u do a lot of gaming go for 1G. I use 2*256 and it's good for me with some gaming.

Back