• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 1800+ at 63 deg. or 48 deg. ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scoob

Registered
Hi - have an Athlon 1800+ machine on a Chaintech 7KJD mobo running just now and trying to assess whether it running hot or not.
Using MBM 5 the results are variable -
Via 8231-2 shows 36
Via 8231-1 Diode shows 62
Via 8231-3 (optional) shows 46
Using Aida-32, which correctly detects the mobo, CPU temp is given as 63, with mobo temp of 36.

And on a re-boot the bios reckons the Temp is 48.

So 8231-2 seems to be the Mobo temp. and it looks like the CPU utilities are reporting the Via 8231-1 diode as CPU temp possibly incorrectly.
Anyone got any experience of this ? And whether these temps are acceptable or not ?

Cheers.

First off, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

If I am correct, Aida32 and MBM5 read out temps through the bios. I may be wrong about this, but thats what I'm thinking is correct. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I'd stand by the bios right now for temp readings. I'd say that your temps are running high. What kind of cooling are you using for the cpu and case fans? Also, have you tried removing the side panel of the case and seeing if your temps drop?

mbm.livewiredev.com lists your motherboard as not having a case sensor, and lists the VIA8231-1 Diode as your cpu temp.

so your cpu being at 61c is pretty hot...i would look into buying a new hew heatsink...

BTW: Welcome the the forums :D

Hi - thanks, and data is ...

Cooling at present -
One aftermarket Arctic Cooling heatsink + fan - runs at 2570rpm.
One Rear Zalman 80mm case fan, which the BIOS reports as running at the same speed as the CPU fan, but AIDA reports are running at 1900rpm.

Side panel off reduces everything by 5 degrees.
Interestingly the BIOS reports CPU temp as 41, but MBM continues to report via-8231-3 optional as 46.

So even more confused now as 41 in BIOS seems to match nothing that is reported by the two pieces of software.

Looking at the other replies, pally means ??

Try updating the BIOS.

Since removing side panel drops the temp I would say your case doesn't have good air circulation. Try adding one or two case fans and tidy up the cables. Make sure you applied thermal paste... if you applied AS3, make sure you didn't apply too much.

Even if it's a pally it shouldn't run that hot.

It seems at the moment that you are relying on the negative air pressure inside the case due to your PSU and rear fans to draw fresh (cool) air into the case. Adding a second case fan at the front would lower your case tems and therefore your CPU temps.

Will investigate the BIOS upgrade and might take the Heatsink off and see if the thermal paste looks not too thick.

And case fans ... yes, will consider getting a front case fan too ... though been trying to avoid noise - when I got this PC it had NO fans whatsoever - I just added the rear one. I could also move that to the front as a test instead while I sort out a second fan.

Thanks everyone. At least I know I should be able to cool it down a bit. Mebbe I'll look into a Zalman CNPS7000 - I've got one in my main machine and it works very well !

In fact, if only I could get a new CPU to go with it for that board I'd be laughing :)

Ah yes - MBM5 - got the latest. Ta. Thats why i was surprised it didn't report the same temp as the BIOS. No matter though I guess.

Chaintech 7KJD
AMD 1800+, Arctic Cooling HSF
512Mb Ram, GeForce Ti4200
No sound.

Back