• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using a 12V fan with a 9V battery...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venesectrix

What would happen if I hooked up one of my computer fans (which runs on 12V DC) to a 9V battery? Would it just run slower because of less voltage? I want to know because I've got an idea but I don't want to take apart one of my fans only to find out that it won't work :p

Would it last longer if I used 6 AA (1.5V) batteries? The fan is rated at 4.2 watts.

Either way, you dont wanna change your bats every hour. That's why batterys wont work

Last edited:
he is talking about a small test.
4.2 watts has gotta be a beast fan, maybe connect a few 9V fans in a series as a paraless circuit (as to increase amperage, not voltage) to do it.

Barn_Angel said:
he is talking about a small test.
4.2 watts has gotta be a beast fan, maybe connect a few 9V fans in a series as a paraless circuit (as to increase amperage, not voltage) to do it.

Series = Increase Volts.
Parallel = Increase Amps.

How long it will last?

I just hooked my 12v security camera to a 9v battery for power and i got a hour and 4mins of use.This was a Sunbeam dollar store battery.Just imagine a Duracell or energizer.

Back