• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver Adhesive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tacoman667

Is it difficult to apply this adhesive? I need to get some RAMsinks for my video card but I know that if I were to mess up, they are stuck to the memory permanently. If there is a less permanent solution that would work as well as this, can someone suggest it to me? All of my older vid cards came with the RAMsinks installed until I got this 9800 PRO. Thanks in advance.

I just put some RAMsinks on my card with arctic alumina adhesive (just 'cause it was cheaper, hehe).
1st piece of advice - You only need a PAPER THIN layer of this stuff! I followed the instructions on the arctic silver website and only put a thin layer on the chip and then seated the heatsink.
Tip #2 - They also aren't kidding when they say that it cures quickly, especially if you are in a warm place so be quick and only do one side of the card at a time.
Tip #3 - If you want to make the adhesive only semi-permanent, I hear you can just add a LITTLE bit of AS5 to the 1:1 adhesive mixture. I didn't do this but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Tip #4 - DEFINATELY do the actual mixing/gluing in a well vantillated area because this stuff gave me an instant headache that didn't go away for hours... and I was working as quickly as I could!
Other than that, just let us know how it went and post some pics of your success if you can:D
Any1 else is welcome to add to my rambling......

I would also suggest using artic alumina adhesive instead of the silver because i had the silver stuff mess up my card twice when a little bit got into the memory connections. If u wanted to use the silver adhesive, i'd be careful.
and just like blake said, to make it semi permenant, add a little more thermal compound (w/o the adhesive), but don't add too much so it won't be able to hold the ramsinks

Hmm, good to know. I thought silver was better then aluminum in conducting the heat. Wouldn't the silver be better?

Yes, silver is better at conducting the heat, but the silver adhesive is SLIGHTLY electrically conductive where as the "synthetec" arctic silver alumina is NOT electically conductive. Basically this means that if you get any drippage off from the RAM chip onto the PCB of the video card and it bridgres two electrically sensitive things, there is a chance that it will mess your card up and it work right (or not at all). Basically just be careful with it and don't be messy;)

What if I put a little tape around the area like the old unlocking XP's meathod when applying rear-window defogger paint? Do you think that might help?

Arctic Silver actually recommends you tape the area off incase of overflow. Take a look at their installation instructions.

On the instructions for the application of actric silver thermal adhesive on the arctic cooling website shows that they put non-corrosive and/or low odor silicon over the leads of the chips to prevent the silver adhesive from bridging them. I'm sure a good tape job would do the trick though, just be gentle and remember, it's a lot better to be safe than sorry... Good Luck!

P.S. - I think as long as you don't use a ton of the stuff to adhere the chip and the heatsink, there should be no problems at all.

Back