Orlando Florida UCF Alumni! C/0 2005 Computer Engineering

I need a watered down linux distro

I recently aquired an old p1 that has 16megs of EDO memory, a floppy and cdrom drive and a 4 gig drive, i wanna put linux on it and throw the computer in my living room as an mp3 server, what linux distro will run on this very bare system??
    I couldn't begin to list my computer specs here..I work as a systems engineer for NASA just imagine the toys I get to play with.. :)

Slackware, Debian, or LFS maybe?
    Lost access to the classifieds? Look here.
    Forum Policies
    Sig Rules

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
    -Sir Winston Churchill

Anything without X.
    I'd suggest on of the mp3 distros on freshmeat.net. The smallest ones are fitting on a floppy but have mp3 playback support

Captain Random
    Senior Evil Genius

Yeah, any very basic distro might be alright like that if you do not install X and give it some good swap space. Just setup samba to share the MP3's out to other computers.

DamnSmallLinux would be easy to install. It's got X and fluxbox and a light web browser, it is a very basic debian otherwise and installs like knoppix.

You would need to boot using cheatcodes to run in text mode the first time, then probably run cfdisk and create a swap partition on your hard drive.

With that done, you should be able to reboot normally into fluxbox (if your video hardware is half-way decent) and install from there (it will automatically see and use the swap partition).
    Last edited by Arkaine23; 03-18-04 at 12:00 PM.
    Folding.for.team.32.as.OC3d!
    i5 3570 @ 4.5 | 8GB | SSD | 5-disk Raid 0 | 660 Ti
    Folding User Stats