• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP aperture size?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Infamous

Registered
What is agp aperture size, and what is the proper setting for a 9700 pro 128 MB card?

There really is no right size, but the most common setting is half of what your card is (64MB for you). That's what I have my 9700 Pro at.

am i to understand that the agp aperture is a section of the system ram, that is used as a buffer for texture loading?

From what I understand, aperture size is how much from your system RAM will be used to help your video card when it can't display/load (or whatever) all the textures. I would recommend 128MB for the size. That's what I use on my Ti4600 128MB.

The AGP aperture is system memory that is used as video texture memory. It will only be used if it needs to be used because the video card doesn't have enough.
You can set it for anything you want and won't see any performance gains in benchmarks if your using a video card with a good amount of memory. So I just set it at 128.

Steven4563 said:
i have mine set to 128meg and with 64meg i get about 500points lower is 3DMark

That could be from anything. I've tested and didn't see any difference no matter what it was set at. I've also seen testing on websites that didn't show any improvement.
You should ponder this.
Why use system memory for video card textures when video memory is faster then system memory?

Back