• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Mobile Bartons 762MPX=BAD!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabertooth

OC Community,

I recently purchased two mobile Bartons from newegg 2400+ 512k cache. I noticed the last L5 was closed so i popped them into the Gigabyte 7DPXDPW-P and the booted as unknows type 2 processors. THE WEIRD PART IS THEY ARE RUNNING AT 133x6!
Does anyone have a similiar experience or remedy?

Extra info: Mushkin 512MB Black Perf II, ATI 9800 Pro. SBLive 5.1 3COM server 100MB NIC.

Thanks in advance.

-Gabertooth

Sounds about right. On the MSI K7D and some other boards, you need to break one of the L5's in order to get them to work in SMP. but seems that the gigabyte board does not require that.

The CPU's have an unlocked multiplyer so you can stick tiny strands of wire into the CPU socket or get an adapter in order to increase the multplyer up to say 16 or 17 for good overclocking.

Socket wire mods-
http://www.ocinside.de/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

or

$60 pair of adapters-
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=279228

Does you board let you increase the FSB and vcore?

Arkaine23,

Thanks for that info. I appreciate the solution. I've been messing around with CPUMSR and CrystalCPUID, i guess there a sector in WPCREDIT you can change to get it to work but this will be easier. TY

-Gabertooth

From his description, they are not modded, and both are recognized and running at 6x133. Perhaps not all duallie boards need the mobile bridge broken to work in MSP...

Yes they came with the leftmost "SMP" L5 closed. Do I have to close another bridge clear the mobile status?

Edit: They are running in the machine as I am typing this.

-G

The L5 bridges on normal Athlon XP's look like this:

| : : :

The L5 bridges on MP's look like this:

| : : |

The L5 bridges on Mobile XP's look like this:

| : | |

On all other dual AMD boards, that I have heard of, people could not successfully run dual Mobile XP's, unless they broke that L5 bridge, which is connected on the mobile, but unconnected on real MP's. They could often boot and run an OS, but it would run with only one CPU, because the BIOS reports the CPU's and not being SMP-capable.

Can you look at your CPU graphs (Ctrl-Alt-Del in Windows) and verify that both CPU's are running, on your unmodded Mobile XP's?

That is very interesting. Perhaps the Gigabyte board doesn't do the checks that the other dual AMD boards seem to do.

You can do the pin-mod on the sockets, to change the multiplier for your CPU's.

Sounds like you got lucky with that board.

This is why I'm interested to see if The Coolest's Gcpuid will be able to change the multi on the fly- because powernow is still functioning, and it'd be extremely easy if it worked.

If that's the case, FSB overclocking aside, the gigabyte board would be a very good option for getting 2.5ghz duallies.

Thats exactly why I am hoping he replies.If theh processors show up dual and are mobile I would be willing to get a few and clock them to death LOL..Maybe end up with a 2.5 to 2.8 gig dual...

Yeah, and I too would like to know. I just picked up 2x 2400+ from NewEgg Refurb to replace current 2x Duron 1400. If the Mobiles work, I will be selling off the 2400's...

I may have the K7D and 2400+ XP-M's, but I went through the same problems. I had to blow the L5 responsible for marking it as mobile. That has the unwanted affect of defaulting the CPU's to the lower multiplier set. I had to do a wire-socket mod to manually get 14x multiplier. They are now running happily at 150x14 1.65v.

-Rav

Gabertoth are ya watching your thread LOL...really could use some info..

I am disapointed , The thread starts and the guy simply disapears. Did he run Mobile non-modded chips in a giga-byta dual board ? I am left guessing the answer is NO...

Last edited:
This seems like good news. I want a dual for my birthday, and I really can't afford Xeons or Opterons. If this works, I might be persuaded to cheap out a little. . .

Z

Back