• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about USB bus power driven HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Norrko

Hello!

I bought an external USB case for my 40Gig 2.5" hd.

The question is why I can't make it to work for me with my A7N8X.
It just makes a "ding, ding" sound. It works together with my laptop. I know that the USB can provide 500mA and the specs of the HD is below that value. Is there anyone out there that have the same problem, that the USB bus can't provide enough current for external peripherals when using the A7N8X?

Is there any "work around" to solve this problem?

/Norrko

supprised no one has replied.....

these asus nforce2 boards have major issues with hard drives connected to usb ports. but it appears your issue is quit different then others i have seen. just be aware its a driver problem. if its possible to use firewire then use it instead cause it might be awhile before the fix. (may not even get solved either but im crossing my fingers on it myself)

Is it a Dell by chance. Many of the Dell laptops have weak lines to the USB's I think to keep the power consumption down. I had a USB CD-RW with it's own power pack (HP) and my dell didn't give it enough juice to get it going, a problem HP told me was common with many Dells and a few other laptops. Also many USB2.0 devices use more juice than when running 1.1 I have a portable I can run straight off the USB in 1.1 mode but if I add a power brick it will do 2.0

he said it worked with his laptop, but NOT his desktop (with the a7n8x..)

i was thinking of getting one of these too, i guess i might wait on this a while :(

Back