• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to kill a card with a multi tester?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NicoZeg

I was in the process of volt modding my vga, and while checking the impedance from FB pin to ground, misplaced the probes, using the + on ground and - on FB. Now the card is dead. :cry:

Of course the card was off the system and unpowered. I cant believe that meter's current can kill something.

What can be wrong? There's any way to know where's the problem?

I'm very sure there's no phisical damage. Maybe it was a static discharge, but didnt feel something like that. I had already soldered a wire to the FB pin, so warranty is gone. :(

Warranty may not be gone depending on how much sodler you used. Can you post a pic?

Also, I find it hard to believe that the card died from that. You had it unplugged from the machine and was testing with your DMM right? The only thing I can think of would ESD or maybe the capacitors had not fully discharged on the card.

Back