• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oc'ing a old intel 166

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phantom505

I have an old pentium 166 MMX w/ a asus P/I XP55T2P4 mobo.
I've update the bios, and I was wondering if this old thing could be Oced, and how???
The bios is different and I don't know which settings to modify.
I use it only to play mp3s, but I still find it slow...

If someone has a clue, please respond.

:-/

The older systems like that mainly used Jumpers to OC it...if you can find a manual or a PDF of the manual...it should show you what jumpers and where to set them to OC it...but dont expect a real big jump...you might get 200 out of it...but I wouldnt expect it to go past 250Mhz...

If Cack is right about having a 75 FSB option, that would be cool. Some of those P-166 were decent overclockers. Like was said, you'll have to use jumpers for overclocking. Most will do 200 MHz and if it's an MMX CPU, then 233 is possible with decent cooling. Ideally, 3X75=225 would probably give you the best bang if you can crank it that high. Initially, I would try raising the multiplier from 2.5X to 3X (leave the FSB alone at first). If that works and if it's stable, then try raising the FSB from 66 to 75 MHz. I've used a stock Celeron 667 heatsink/fan on a socket 7 mobo before. If you don't have a better heatsink that will work, at least use good thermal paste and lap the P-1 heatsink, plus add a case fan.

Back