• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

StarCraft2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neeseius

I just want to get this out to people that I happen to run accross online playing SC, that for some reason strongly believe starcraft2 will happen. You need to understand that there wont be a StarCraft 2! There just wont, there are a million reasons why there wont be a SC2, and a couple why there will.

There wont because StarCraft was, and still is the most balanced RTS game ever created, and even minor changes to its playability could completely bring it off balance.

There wont be because the last addition to the game, which was an expansion pack, was 6 years ago. I dont know of any game in history that has released an addon or sequal 6 years later without nething in between!

There wont because Blizzard hasn't even started working on the game... therefor making the next release, if there would be one, at least 1 /12, or more like two years later, which is so far off the timeline Jim Raynor would be in his last years.

It wont happen because people have been craving it and anticipating it for years, and almost certainly made this game the most anticipated over any other game.... ever, and it still hasn't even begun development

It wont because too many employees and people who worked on the original SC have moved on to other companies, including a president do i recall? not sure I dont feel like looking it up.

It wont because there is so much demand and pressure on the quality of this sequal that no one would be up to the challenge.

I could go on and on... but guys its not gonna happen

I agree, but you have to admit, StarCraft was one of the best RTS games of its time. It's very old... hell it's older than CS (which still kicks $ss) but it was a very cool game. I have played it sooo much. And still some ppl play it. SC 2 might not happen, but SC will never be forgotten!!

there will be a SC2, even you said there are reasons that there will be, and there may be more reasons for not making it but the reason for making it are better.... :p

for example?

all I can think of is that the game was great, and blizzard said they would revisit the universe. thats all

and they have been saying that ^ for a very long time

there will be a SC2. And if there isnt, then blizzard is stupid for not doing so.

Just like HL1, there is a HL2.

Sure just crush my dreams why don't you ;). I never try to say never but it is well past the time they would / should have released it, so my hopes are real low. None the less I still have a little in there.

PS SC Forever and don't forget the real oldie Total Annihilation: I still love that one too.

i dont think they will make a starcraft2 until everyone forgets about the original. they will never be able to top it

Neeseius said:

There wont be because the last addition to the game, which was an expansion pack, was 6 years ago. I dont know of any game in history that has released an addon or sequal 6 years later without nething in between!

Ever hear of doom 3? :p

There will be. It would be like flushing millions of dollars down the toilet if they did'nt. Blizzard has two main teams of programmers that work on 2 games at a time. After starcraft they did Diablo 2 and it's exspansion and warcraft 3 and it's exspansion. Now they're working on World of Warcraft and Starcraft: Ghost.

Last edited:
why do you think they chose to make starcraft ghost rather than starcraft2? they know they will never be able to make anything better. all of blizzards games past broodwar have sucked (many will disagree with me here): d2, exp, war3, exp, and i predict wow to fall due to other mmorpg competition. starcraft ghost might actually be good though. blizzard is just running off their name right now.

It wont because too many employees and people who worked on the original SC have moved on to other companies, including a president do i recall? not sure I dont feel like looking it up.

it were the folks that worked on the diablo seriese from blizzard north that moved on to another company

*ehem* warcraft II --> warcraft III was how many years?, the same company proves they can and will do this

There wont because Blizzard hasn't even started working on the game... therefor making the next release, if there would be one, at least 1 /12, or more like two years later, which is so far off the timeline Jim Raynor would be in his last years.

who says they would use the same charecters if they moved time, they didnt do it in the warcraft seriese but they do alude to past occurances (actually i think the hero from wc1 was old and aged in wc2 and is eventually killed)

It wont happen because people have been craving it and anticipating it for years, and almost certainly made this game the most anticipated over any other game.... ever, and it still hasn't even begun development

yes there is, money!!!

It wont because there is so much demand and pressure on the quality of this sequal that no one would be up to the challenge.

just because you refuse to play a different style of game from sc and think war3 is a terrible game because it includes innovation into the dying rts genre doens not make it a awfull game infact its an awsome game and if any one is up to the challenge blizzard is.

There wont because StarCraft was, and still is the most balanced RTS game ever created, and even minor changes to its playability could completely bring it off balance.

alot of people dissagree with you there bud, including me. Though sc is increadably well ballanced it does have some minor unballance issues especially regarding terran (who were my favorite race btw)

all your arguments fail that sc2 will not happen based on the fact that it would be the biggest money maker next to doom III of all time. Even if the game is utter crap it will be done and you (and i) will buy it, enough said i believe.

I dont think starcraft 2 will come out anytime soon, if not ever. I think it will be a last resort type move for blizzard, they have to much to live up to.

I'm not holding my breath for SC2. If they make it, they make it. If they don't, they don't.

As for sequals coming out many years after the original game, well, there's plenty of examples in this thread, and pro'lly more to come.

Blizzard likes money. And people like giving Blizzard money. So they'll pro'lly revisit the SC universe at somepoint in time in the future. We just gotta be patient :)

Ahem games HAVE had sequels after 6 years or so. /me points to doom and doomIII.

I think that the best thing for SC would be to just upgrade the graphics.

no no some of you guys are wrong... Blizzard didn't make sequals to WarCraft and Diablo six years after their release, they have been working on them in the time between, as they havent EVEN STARTED starcraft2! So I havent heard of any other blizzard game, nor most any other game that was released, and had a sequal or expansion STARTED ON six years later. Im sure it might have happened in extremely rare cases, but this is not likely.

Edit: oh and Ghost has been in progress for a long time, but it has nothing to do with the original as its not on the PC, and its a FPS. Not only that but they are not the same people who worked on SC.

another edit: Doom3 and HL and all them have been worked on for years and years, StarCraft like I said still hasn't even started development.

One more edit: Bothoven needs to understand that they have been throwing millions of dollars away for the past 4 years by not releasing another StarCraft, so if they have done it all this time, then what makes you think they wont do it now?

Last edited:
When there is a truck load of money to be made, there is a will. :)

But lets sit down and be honest with ourselves. Do we really want SC2? No. I'm willing to bet 90% of us only want an updated version of our beloved classic. Therefore all that needs to be done is for blizzard or someone else to mod the war3 engine to remove the hero system, put in the correct units with their respective values and BAM!! A game most of us will play.

Back