• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP Bus Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steelpuma

Im using an N-Force II motherboard and an MSI Ti4200.

At the moment the AGP Bus is at 87Mhz x AGPx8.

Does that count as AGPx10 ?

LOL, ive been wondering this aswell, my geforce 2 mx400 can run agp 4x, but it is running 2x at about 77mhz, would this count as agp 3x? :D

I dont really know... is there no way to set the AGP mhz to "fixed" ?

It's not that smart to run your AGP/PCI busses out of spec. Most hard drives will corrupt data when not on a 33mhz PCI bus, and most AGP cards start showing artifacting, etc. at higher PCI frequencies. Besides, you don't get ANY boost from higher AGP bus speeds.

OperativeSix said:
It's not that smart to run your AGP/PCI busses out of spec. Most hard drives will corrupt data when not on a 33mhz PCI bus, and most AGP cards start showing artifacting, etc. at higher PCI frequencies. Besides, you don't get ANY boost from higher AGP bus speeds.

Yep, i would run the pci bus no higher than 36mhz. i would start to get problems at 38mhz with my via mobo.

Its also true that overclocking the agp slot has no benefit.

If it yields no benifit, then why is it included on boards, I mean the option of "overclocking" it? if it really does do nothing!

MetalStorm said:
If it yields no benifit, then why is it included on boards, I mean the option of "overclocking" it? if it really does do nothing!

I think its just because most mobos cant lock the pci bus,not because its more of an option.

To answer the original question...no thats not like AGP 10x, lol

All AGP runs at 66Mhz (default), and overclocking the AGP bus does nothing in real applications (synthetic benchmarking is different, and pointless imo). The video card itself can still only take in that information at 66Mhz because thats what the card was designed for. The enthusiest market has been calling for AGP locks for a long time, and now that we have it I see more and more people trying to overclock their AGP, lol

Leave it at 66Mhz if you have the option to

Back