• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with CompUSA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluediamond

I sent the following letter to CompUSA last week (sorry for the length)...

To Whom It May Concern:

A few months ago, I had purchased a $150 Video Card from CompUSA. I was pleased with the performance of the card, but after a few weeks, the fan that was mounted to the card began to make a very annoying whining noise. I then immediately took the video card back to the store for a replacement. They replaced the card with an identical item, and because of the misfortune that I had with the previous one I decided to purchase an extended service agreement.

After a week, the same thing happened; the fan began to make a whining noise. So I immediately took the video card back to CompUSA. This time I did not want to get the same card due to two of them going bad. I was willing to pay extra to get a higher quality video card in the hopes of not having the same problem in the future. When I explained the problem I was having and that I wanted to upgrade my card to the clerk at the return desk she explained to me that I was unable to get a different card.

The option was given to me to return the card I had, but that I would be charged a restocking fee. I then explained that I had purchased a product replacement plan and that I expected that this was going to cover me if I had any problems, which I was having. The clerk then went on to explain that I could only exchange the card for the same item unless I wanted to pay a restocking fee. At this point I asked to speak to a manager who I hoped would resolve my problem.

When the manager came I explained my situation to him and he told me exactly what the clerk had told me. I then explained to the manager that I had worked in retail sales for over six years and that every company I had ever worked for did all that was possible to keep the customer happy. He then explained to me that the return policy was a corporate policy and that there was nothing he could do to remedy the situation. I told him that I completely understand how the policy works, but that I didn’t agree with the policy at all. I told him that I had worked at Sears, which is a much larger company than CompUSA, and that our number one priority was the customer and that we returned products without question there. His first response was that CompUSA was a much bigger store than Sears, in fact he said that CompUSA was the second largest retail store in the country. I asked him if he was honestly telling me that CompUSA was the second largest retail company in the country, bigger than Sears and he said yes it was (I later did some research and found that Sears was the second largest retail company just behind Walmart). I told him that I disagreed with his statement and he then said that I had become rude and that the conversation was over. I then returned the card, less the restocking fee and I took my money to another computer store to purchase a new video card.

I am the Director of Technology at a local school and over the past few months I have spent almost $25,000 at this computer store for new computers and plan on spending another $20,000 in the next few months. I have not spent a dime at CompUSA since this incident and I have told everyone I know (since I am a IT professional I am constantly asked where to go for computer equipment) this story and they have all told me they will never shop there again either. CompUSA has lost thousands of dollars in business just because they didn’t want take care of a customer and a lousy $150 video card, this is not good business.

A month later I purchased a $200 freezer from Sears, a few days after the item had been delivered I noticed a very small dent on the top of the freezer. Since this was a brand new freezer I would have liked to have it look brand new. I went back to the store to see if I could exchange the freezer, but I didn’t expect anything because I didn’t purchase an extended service agreement. I was told by the salesman to bring the freezer back in and they would swap it out for me. At this point I was thrilled.

When I came back in to do the exchange they unfortunately did not have the same freezer in stock, so they gave me a $350 freezer for no extra charge, and they now have a customer for life.

I will continue to tell people about my experience at CompUSA as well as my experience at Sears with the hopes that I might be able to make a difference.

Today I got a call from the store manager and she of course apologized and said that I would be refunded the 15% restocking fee that I was charged. I explained to her that it wasn't the money that I was upset about, but the way that the manager had treated me, she again apologized. I am planning on going into the store tomorrow to get my refund, but I don't plan on spending any money there again.

Last edited:
Yeah, after you submit a letter to the higher ups at CompUSSR, some middle manager apologizes and refunds your money. I wonder how many people are just so peeved about their problems with CompUSSR that they just shut up and pay the ridiculous restocking fee. It would be comical to see some guy that had just been ripped off to grab that CompUSSR middle manager by the throat and tell them that they will not be paying any restocking fee, and that they will indeed be selecting a new video card.

I wonder if they plan on doing anything else for me besides refunding me the lously $20 restocking fee because that will not make me want to shop there again.

CompUSA, founded as Soft Warehouse in Dallas, Texas, in October 1984, originally sold "direct" to business customers. The company then opened its first retail store in April 1985; opened its first Computer Superstore in April 1988; changed its name to CompUSA in March 1991 and, in September 1998, CompUSA completed its acquisition of the Computer City chain from Tandy Corporation. In March 2000 CompUSA became a privately held company, under the new leadership of Mexican retail company, Grupo Sanborns.

My Opinion is that Compusa does not care about it's customers and they certainly DO NOT CARE that they sell Misrepresented products, They know about it and care about padding their bottom line over customer satisfaction. I have sent Larry Mondry, Chief Executive Officer, COMPUSA a Notarized copy of my findings and he refuses to respond via e-mail, snail mail nor by phone.

I recommend you find a new source for PC gear as Compusa as far as I'm concerned are crooks.

Everyone should post the problems that they have had with CompUSA in the past here, we can then forward this thread to as many comusa exec's and stores we can, it may not make a difference, but at least we tried

the only problem I have ever had with them was one of the people at their tech center had absolutely no clue what he was doing (he couldnt spell and type). I was getting my pc fixed (this was before I found this forum and before my addiction started). I will never have a pc fixed their ago, I barely go there anymore. Anyone know a good pc store in northern NJ?

Well, I went back to CompUSA today, and they gave me back the $20 that I had to pay for the restocking fee. I explained to the manager that I didn't really care about the $20, but what I really cared about was how I was treated. For some reason she thinks that by refunding my money everything will be okay, but I still don't plan on ever shopping there again.

A simple search will show you plenty of complaints about CompUSA. Putting "problem" and "CompUSA" in the title for this one is so common that you probably aren't generating much interest.

I bought a toshiba laptop from compusa and nobody told me I had to save the outer box for the 150 rebate. I went back to the store and they told me I was s.o.l. I will never purchase anything again from their stores. If anything has a rebate I don"t want it.

I bought a Compaq Presario 1722US laptop from Compusa in April 2002. The battery went bad after less then a month. It would not charge itself anymore. I knew it was the battery because a friend of mine has the same laptop and I borrowed his battery for a day and it worked just fine. I went to Compusa and hoped that they would replace the battery for me, they carry the replacement battery for this laptop on their shelf. The customer rep guy says it's a defective part and I need to contact Compaq. I told them that it's been less then 21 days since I bought the laptop can't you just replace the battery with the one on the shelf there and you work it out with Compaq. Well, I didn't win. I walked out the store frustrated and felt completely being taken advantage of. I called Compaq. They asked me to ship them the battery. I got a new battery after 10 days. I have not stepped into or drive near a Compusa store ever since.

I pretty much avoid compusa. Sometimes I'll buy blank media or a game there, and think my laptop bag was bought there... but that's about it. Retail PC stores don't interest me much.

I also can't recall any bad experiences, probably because I buy my big-ticket items elsewhere...

Pinky said:
I Retail PC stores don't interest me much.

they interest me to the point that i can walk in, put my hands on the item(s) im interested in, give it a good once over, and then head home to order it cheaper online from my short list of e-tailers. :p

bluediamond said:
A month later I purchased a $200 freezer from Sears, a few days after the item had been delivered I noticed a very small dent on the top of the freezer. Since this was a brand new freezer I would have liked to have it look brand new. I went back to the store to see if I could exchange the freezer, but I didn’t expect anything because I didn’t purchase an extended service agreement. I was told by the salesman to bring the freezer back in and they would swap it out for me. At this point I was thrilled.

When I came back in to do the exchange they unfortunately did not have the same freezer in stock, so they gave me a $350 freezer for no extra charge, and they now have a customer for life.

Just wanted to pass on my own experience with Sears and returning products.

In late 1997 I purchased an Acer P2/266 and Acer 15" monitor from Sears. Nearly two months after purchase, the monitor started wigging out, like the horizontal hold was going wacko. The monitor died, so I called Acer for the address of the authorized repair shop I knew was only a couple of miles from me. They told me that it was privledged information, and I had to send it out for repair.

At this point I called Sears. This is now 57 days after purchase. I explained what happened, and they told me to bring the monitor in and they would swap it out for me. I brought it to the electronics dept, dropped it on the counter, and 3 minutes later headed for the merch pickup area with a receipt for a brand new monitor.

57 days after purchase. Full replacement. No questions asked. You can't ask for much better than that.

Good customer service is a pretty rare thing nowadays-

Most retail stores seem to have no idea what it is.

I often go to CompUSA when I need something small/cheap or instantly.....I do NOT get big-ticket items there.....

I think few people on these forums get big-ticket items there.

Unfortunately, many people (who are NOT computer hobbyists) spend big money at CompUSA. :(
I cringe every time I am in there and see someone buying a computer. And it does happen.

CompUSA seems to be designed as the most efficient way possible to separate people who are no more than semi-experienced computer users from their money. (No insult intended to anyone except CompUSA.)

Buyer beware when dealing with them.

Yeah I went there yesterday looking for a videocard. The videocard had just been put out and didn't have a price on the shelf for it yet. So after a guy watches me look for 4-5 minutes he finally asks from 30 feet away do I need some help. I say yes and he comes over takes the box and does a price check for me. When he come back he basically throws the box at me and tells me the price as he walks away. Needless to say I didn't buy the videocard from there.

I do not see Comp Usa as a bad guy here. There Policy is a Written Policy and I think the Clerks did a great job in following the policy laid out by there company. THERE Customer service performed EXACTLY as it is written. :bang head

Additionally you took the extra step and in the end the company Decided to refund you the restocking fee which was a good faith effort on there part.

Does any one know why that policy exists ?
Do any of you have employees ?

I have had issues exactly like what was described in this thread,And personally it is like shipping charges when you buy from the Internet.We all know if it is defective we eat shipping.If it dies again we eat shipping and of course you can complain higher up.

I do not see one shred of wrong doing on the part of CompUsa. It was your feeling you got a bad deal that has you upset NOT one fact in your story tell's me that CompUsa did you any wrong at all.Your complaint should have been directed at the manufacture not CompUsa.

Retailer's may use Emotions to get you to buy but there is no written requirment for the retailer to make sure you feel good about the purchess after it is made.And so long as they follow what is written in the terms and conditions of the sale that retailer IMO is a good retailer.

Back