• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chip Integrated VS Sound Blaster Live ! 5.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bxroute

Registered
I'm planning to buy a K7T Turbo-R and a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1.
But as the K7T Turbo-R has an Integrated Sound Card, is there any way to switch it off without having 99² bugsfor it, or better, making the 2 cards work together, the Sound Blaster Live being the main one ? I've seen a friend achieving this (after weeks of crazyness) with 2 SB AWE 64 (one for input, the other for output).
So how should this be done (Windows 98 only) ??

Why would you need 2 cards for an in/out? There is an in and out on all sound cards. Most onboard sound cards can be dissabled in bios.

If you are an audio nut like me then I suggest a Hercules Game Theater. It has great sound quality and a better signal to noise ratio then the live.

On the other hand if you just have your comp hooked up to cheap speakers then why not save some $ and just use the onboard sound?

Bxroute said:
is there any way to switch it off without having 99² bugsfor it

There should be jumpers on your motherboard to disable the onboard sound, and an option in the BIOS. Set them both to off or disabled.

As for making one card input and one card output, what would be the point of that? Sound cards have a line in (input) and speaker out (output) so ONE card can do both input and output. Two soundcards would be more likely to cause an IRQ conflict.

Precisions

For what Ken257 said, i really cant afford à better sound card right now as i must buy a lot of hardware. But i wanted a minimum cos i got 4 speakers (big ones) with surround and stuff.

And for what Wa11y said, for the input/output stuff, it's because the guy is working with this and records music (big stuff), so he needed a card for input and another for output.
For the jumpers, i don't know as i didn't buy the motherboard yet.

Anyways, thanks for your advice guys !

Back