• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volt Mod gone wrong :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

THunDA

Hi all..

Well last night I attempted to volt mod my vdd and vdimm..
And all went well untill it came to soldering on the right side of that small resistor..

I was having a hard time getting it to stick then it did and I was moving the wire and it ripped off.. Then I took the resisitor off figuring today I would pick up that fixed resistor thing and do it the alternate way listed on Motherboardfaqs and the problem now is the trace that I need to solder to fell off.. :( Damit I shoulda left it the first time and glue gunned it but I didnt and I guess there isnt anything I can do to change that now..

The rest of the modding is done and im positive it came out perfect ...but this one part killed it..

Is there any other thing I could do to complete the mod before I throw it in the trash and not volt mod again..?

Thanks
Thunda

omg man, sorry to hear that.... i have no idea how to fix it if the whole thing & trace came off.....

i don't understand why the whole resistor would come off if you were just moving it around, unless you really pulled on it...

mine seems pretty well stuck on, to bad its not stable. i might go get a new trimmer and do some more testing.

i think its time for you to get a new mobo :(

Yea I guess ill have to get a new one.. sux the rest came out perfect.. Maybe someone knows of another place it to solder to..

Im not too mad .. I knew there was a risk in doing it.. o-well..

Thunda

Can you please post a pic of the damaged area?

I may can help you out here as I am in the middle of modding 3 of those boards. I am betting if you can point out the exact trace for me I can follow it and give you an alternate way to do it and revive your board.

Hell-Fire -XS- said:
Can you please post a pic of the damaged area?

I may can help you out here as I am in the middle of modding 3 of those boards. I am betting if you can point out the exact trace for me I can follow it and give you an alternate way to do it and revive your board.

Thanks Hell-Fire..

Ill post it later tonight when im home from work... I bought a new mobo anyways.. but if I can revive this one that would be great.. so far the new one isnt running the same settings ..

edit... the trace thats gone is the one that motherboardfaqs says is the alternate way of doing it.. The resistor broke off and the right trace is broke off.. :(

Last edited:
NP.

If ya revive it, you can always remod it and sell it to make up for the cash you spent on the new board.

all ya need to do is follow where the trace would have gone, the sodler to the next component you come accross

Planus said:
all ya need to do is follow where the trace would have gone, the sodler to the next component you come accross

Yes and no.

He will now have to solder to the next component that is in that loop, but he cant use jsut any ground. He will have to solder to the FET leg now.

It looks correct, but I dont know for sure until I look at the traces on the board.

I am at school doing a lab, so I will look later to see if thats right. Either way, it sounds like it fixed it for him.

PM me at XtremeSystems so I remember to take a look as I am heading to Wasghington for the weekend and would like to get you an answer about this.

I am 99% sure we can salvage the board just fine. Would be up to you to either use it or well it.

-Fire

ok thanks HellFire.. ill Pm you there when in ready to send it ..

Back