• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Inreasing +3.3v on FSP-400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chronos_s

Increasing +3.3v on FSP-400?

As the title says... is there an easy way, with an FSP-400 to increase my 3.3V?

ta!

First, have you looked inside the psu housing for internal pots?

My FSP 530 has 5 of them.

Second, almost 99% of power supplies have a sense wire for the 3.3v power rail. It is easily seen if you look at the connector that plugs into the motherboard....the big one not the small one. Look at the corner of the connector where a thick orange wire is going. There should also be either an orange or brown thin wire running into the same slot as the thick orange 3.3v power rail. Snip that and cut away a good 1/2-1" section out and add a 40-70ohm fixed resistor between the 2 leads. Then solder to the top leg of the fixed resistor (top leg is the one that is attached to the lead that runs into the power supply and not intpo the plug) a 10K VR (attach to the middle leg of the VR). Then attach the top leg gof the VR to a ground point. Be sure you set the VR to max resistance first by measuring its resistance between the middle and top leg....to make things easier so you dont make a mistake, cut the bottom leg of the VR off....top leg is the one by the screw of course.

Now, fire up the psu and take a voltage reading....should get abit over 3.3v, then turn the screw clockwise slowly and watch the voltage increase. It may not move much at first, but be patient and dont turn it fast as it will start to increase after a few turns.

Let me know if this helps.

-Fire

I altered my rails using the pots inside - but beware as I think the PSU has overvoltage protection that may make it refuse to start up if you go too high. The 3.3V line is adjusted via a little pot next to where the sense wire goes in.

Thanks dude, much appreciated

So basically if my PS does have the internal pots its no worries, but if it doesn't, i need to do the wire cutting etc? or i need to do both?

If you use pots then don't wire mod it. Wire modding is a last resort usually.

And BE CAREFUL when working inside PSUs - don't touch any exposed metal heatsinks or caps.

There is generall 2 small VRs for the power rails.

1 is for the 3.3v railm and 1 is for the 5v/12v rail that are linked together.

The other VRs are for the Overcurrent Protection, although alot of people think they control the internal fan speeds.

Well i found the pot and managed to get 3.25v as opposed to 3.23 heh

also changed my 12v to exactly 12.00 (MM verified)

Though now i really should find the points to test the 3.3v rather than relying on the motherboard sensors... why cant these things just be accurate dammit?

MM says 12.00 yet bios reports 11.65... how crap is that?!

Chronos_s said:
Well i found the pot and managed to get 3.25v as opposed to 3.23 heh

also changed my 12v to exactly 12.00 (MM verified)

Though now i really should find the points to test the 3.3v rather than relying on the motherboard sensors... why cant these things just be accurate dammit?

MM says 12.00 yet bios reports 11.65... how crap is that?!

There should be a flat connector with 5 wires running into it. 1 Red, 3 Black, 2 Orange. The orange wires are where you measure the 3.3v rail.

Back