• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cascade SS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
TheGhengisKhan said:
I know it's not good to mix copper with alluminum, but has anyone done tests with silver/copper ?
They are different metals. It would be interesting to find out.

Not a problem. Silver/copper are close enough in galvanic potential for it to not be a problem

I think what BladeRunner was alluding to was people mistaking silver for aluminum at first glance.

OMG thats like one of the nicest waterblocks i've ever seen. ..nice to see a cascade up cose like that :attn: I've been wanting to get a cascade but i need to get rid of my K7N2-L mobo from MSI since it dont have mounting holes :( might as well wait for the athlon 64s to drop in price then :eek: Other than that GL to your install and damn I'm soo envious of you. :drool:

Damn you guys!
eviltongue.gif

/end jealousy

Anyway, a bit off topic but anyone know where I can find nickel plated barbs?

VAdept said:
Its a shame this is the last batch. Im somewhat reminded of 'rare' item collection, between these and Benders chillers im getting an odd RPG feel around here.

That must make me super l33t since I have both.

Well Ive only got one but im really happy to have it!!! I was told around 30 poeple had it so I thought it was the equivalent of having a ferrari enzo but for watercooling.(and less money)
TheNewGuy

Damn... 30? That means Cathar lost $100 and about 150 hours of labor to make these silver blocks for people...

He is *officially* cooler than me 8(

I think we can say hes officialy cooler than most poeple!!! But I say THANKS and good job helping us cooling our computers, you have been great and you delivered a good service.
THANK YOU!!!!
TheNewGuy

Price of the SS blocks is the price of the copper Cascade blocks (I won't advertise the price here) plus the price of obtaining the 99.998% pure silver, which has to be imported.

The silver plate for both the SS batches that have been made worked out to $120 Australian dollars (AUD) each, so you can convert that to whatever currency using www.xe.com.

vonkaar said:
Damn... 30?

Counted it all up.

4 blocks from the first silver I got - which nikhsub1's block is from. I made up extra barbs to send some to nikhsub1, but ran out of plated barbs as most people in the second batch wanted poly tops with 3-barbs. I had to get a second lot of barbs plated and even then I only had just enough to cover the batch. Some of the barbs don't turn out properly in the plating process, so I only have some "seconds" of the plated barbs left.

The barbs are all "bright nickel" plated. I got them custom plated at a plating facility here in Melbourne.

21 blocks from the "first" batch.

12 blocks from the "second" batch.

So all up there are 37 of the Cascade SS blocks about (I have just one in my own system).

I still have 5 silver plates here reserved for a future project.

The "net loss" is basically factored into me paying for my own Cascade SS, so while I'm short monetarily on them, I do have a block at the end to show for it. If I ever sell my own Cascade SS, then I will be breaking even.

Cathar you are so cool! Since I can't buy a Cascade, can I buy a T-shirt with a Cascade on it? I am desperately trying to fit in with these Cascade owners. :clap:

9mmCensor said:
Will there be another batch? I thought there was a possiblility of another run.

There's a vague possibility if I get enough interest. I'd need at least 12 people to make it worthwhile - the issue being ordering in the polycarbonate to make up the rest of the blocks without paying silly amounts for a very small batch of poly. I have about 5 people who have already expressed interest since I closed the second batch.

Another interesting thing I've found is that the blocks in the UK would technically be classified as "fine jewellery" due to the purity and amount of silver used. Apparantly the blocks sent to the UK should carry an official "silver-mark" chop or something. I don't know too much about it, but someone at a UK forum brought it up.

Depending on how much money I get from my Income tax return, I may or may not be interested in one, so I will let you know in a bit.

I guess I could buy one, but I wouldn't have any money for other H2O parts, so I would have to simply worship it, unless it can be installed and used as a heatsink as well... can it?

Wait, is that a possiblility for silver, copper or both... ?

Silent Buddha said:
Cathar you are so cool! Since I can't buy a Cascade, can I buy a T-shirt with a Cascade on it? I am desperately trying to fit in with these Cascade owners. :clap:

I want one cascade SS , and i know more people want one.

Cathar would it be ok to open a thread "who wants a cascade SS , need at least 12 customers for a new batch" or something like that?

Of course, explaining in the thread it is a possibility if 12 people sign up, and it isn't a fact, final decision will be up to you(cathar).

would this be ok?

Back