• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cascade SS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
now that i think i would like to wait maybe the XXX in copper would be better.i want to wait until i get an A64.......but silver would ROCK

guys he did not say its a definate thing or even tht he has a copper block near completion yet for testing. i know we all want one which is understandable but dont assume its something that is just gonna happen.

I agree with thorilan, I was just saying that depending what it was, and how much it costs I might be interested.

It's not for sure he's going to do either, another batch of SS cascades, or XXX cascades.

Dukemurmur said:
How about u guys send him Donations of like 10 bucks to help him gain some of his mony back from the SS and make them worth his while?? IF 15-20 of u do that then there is 200 bucks for hime that he can use to start the XXX or do with what he wants. Like a Cathar fund raiser?? For the XXX and the SS. That would also bring a lot of ppl on board that want one also. Just some thoughts but yeah i think that it would be great if we all sent hime some money for this cause i mean as he just had a kid and these blocks cost big$$$$ to make and he has been so nice to everyone.

I'm pretty sure he does this for fun, not money. He has said in the past he makes very little money in waterblocks, and that his normal day job pays well enough. Just give the man time, and let him do what he loves.

jawdrop.gif
jawdrop.gif
jawdrop.gif

XXX -- COUNT ME IN!!!
jawdrop.gif
jawdrop.gif
jawdrop.gif

I know that but everything can help. And it could say go towards him buying the copper or silver blocks in bulk to save on prices for all of us also. Or 4 say a days pay that he could take off or what not to work on them?? just an idea that i threw out there.

Dukemurmur said:
I know that but everything can help. And it could say go towards him buying the copper or silver blocks in bulk to save on prices for all of us also. Or 4 say a days pay that he could take off or what not to work on them?? just an idea that i threw out there.

I'm just saying, I have seen other people in other forums mention something about him raising proces or whatever, and he has said that he isn't interested in making money off this, and that it takes about 2 hours of time to build one.

Cathar is a watercooling genius.

Dukemurmur: please check your PMs.

All I gotta say is WOW! :attn: 149 compared to the 52 jets is pretty damn crazy improvement...count me in for the XXX....hehe Cathar you are the best! :)

Anyone know where I can sell my soul? cause I want one of these...
I have a feeling I will be getting one too. XXX sounds so damn cool.

Cathar, have you ever thought of using tweaker labour. I am sure that there are some OCers, down under that would certainly love to help making WBs, even if it was just like putting stuff together. I know I'd do it.

I consider either waterblock worth the wait and I am still very interested in this opportunity. Looking forward to a review of the XXX.

VeiL0 said:
All I gotta say is WOW! :attn: 149 compared to the 52 jets is pretty damn crazy improvement...

Pick up a US 5c piece ("nickel") and that's the area which those 149 jets/cups fit into, being a rough 7/8" diameter circle.

Guys, I do not ask for money, and I will not take anyone's money as any form of advance deposit, especially not while the very ability to even make the XXX block is in doubt.

I will re-stress that I make these blocks purely to investigate water cooling. I'm not a manufacturer, just a hobbyist who happens to be willing to spend some of his time to make up blocks for people as time permits me to do so. It's done so more as a favor, and not for profit. This seems to be a fine point lost on the LiquidNinjas crew who chose to ban me.

As for larger commercial companies grabbing a hold of the Cascade, that's something which I personally haven't considered doing yet - I'm still developing it.

We are lucky to have people so dedicated and talented as you Cathar. Thanks for all your work.

Cathar said:
Wow - I'm honestly surprised by the amount of interest.

Okay, here's the catch. As many of you are probably aware I'm working on the Cascade XXX, being a refinement of the Cascade design. Now the XXX is a proof of concept block and I hope to have the first working copper prototype sometime next week.

The XXX's are not cheap at all to make. I had no intention of ever offering them for sale, however since there's so much interest in the (highly priced) SS blocks, I will consider offering them as an option for those who want to pay the premium.

Right now we (the machinists and I) are basically working out the mechanics of getting the XXX made with a couple of false starts already.

I simply don't have the time now to put towards making a batch of waterblocks, even a small one, while I'm trying to get the XXX off the ground. I really want to get this XXX thing up and running first and assess its performance. The XXX has the added bonus of requiring less silver than the SS, so some of the extra machining cost will be offset by the reduction in weight of silver required to make it.

So how's this then. Give me 4-6 weeks to get the XXX concept off the ground. I'll post results here and I intend on sending one to Phaestus over at Procooling.com for independent review. Then we can revisit.

In case people are wondering, XXX stands for a near 3x increase in the number of jets (149 vs 52), and an overall rough cubic increase in density of the design.

you've made me a very happy man!

as i write this i'm watching the bikes from phillip island - looks like the weather is pretty good down your way!

greenman100 said:

Why'd they ban you? (You don't have to answer)

They first threatened to ban me because I responded to a post where one of the admins was slagging off against the Cascade, citing that I was engaged in active promotion of a product I sold, which I reminded them that I no longer did. The same admin then took offense to me trying to explain that a single temperature measurement of the CPU die does not necessarily indicate how hot small sections of the CPU die can get, and this is why even relatively small bulk CPU temperature variations between block to block, or even remount to remount, can affect the achievable overclock quite noticably. Again my efforts were viewed as an attempt to promote my products (which I don't sell) rather than, as I explained, as an attempt to explain the variations that we all see. The admin would make a series of insulting posts, and then close the threads without allowing a response to explain my position.

The same admin then started reading people's PM's sent to me, and then using the content of those PM's to attack the people who sent the PM's, in the public forums. When confronted (by me) he defended his actions saying that as far as he was concerned PM's were treated like regular forum posts.

I told him I wanted no part of a forum where the admins behave in such a fashion, so they obliged.

Back