• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the BEST dual system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
my bad

edit: if you end up getting the k8w, i would not go with sata, if you really want raid get some 15k seagate ultra320 drives and a 64 bit scsi controller, you will be much more satisfied with that. or you could go with their fibre drives.

Last edited:
Those Raptors will run right with the 15K SCSI drives in single user applications. Unless you're running a server, serious high power multitasking or industrial non i86 CPUs, SCSI isn't any better.

There's a review that shows this posted a short while ago.

Last edited:
bluediamond said:
Here is what I am looking at building:

CPU: Opteron Model 246 (2.0 GHz) x2
Motherboard: Tyan AMD-8000 Chipset Server Mobo Model "Thunder K8W (S2885ANRF)"
Memory: 4 GB Reg/ECC Corsair PC3200 1GB x 4
HD: 74 GB 10,000 RPM SATA Raptor's
Optical: CD-RW & DVD-RW

Let me know what you think, chages, additions, etc.

RAID5 might be nice.

I was wondering about dual mobile Bartons? They would be cheap but how would they compare to a dual opteron setup. I'm making a dual setup and was wondering.

I'd say it simply depends on what you do and what you need, as well as if you like to upgrade. Opterons tend to perform similarly to Bartons . . . they beat Intel where XPs beat Intel, and lose where XPs lost to Intel. Buying an Opteron for video encoding is silly, for example. On the other hand, memory performance is much improved, you get SSE2, and you have an upgrade path. So, unless you need absolute cheap, I'd say it's a toss up. Very highly clocked XP mobiles in dual will probably beat an Opteron in some benchmarks, but will also lose in some, can't run 64-bit or SSE2, and are completely outdated. It's just a matter of choice.

Z

Something kind of like these-

opterons.jpg

8GB ram (fits up to 16)
2x Opteron 244's

These motherboards are the critical server variety and have no AGP slot, but there are similar are models that do have AGP.

Ok, i want to make a dual setup with Mobile barton's is there any board that is locked as i want a high oc ( i will be using RBX's with chilled water). So if i can get a pci/agp locked board i'm hopping around 2.8-2.9 ghz maybe more if i'm lucky. Will this beat an opteron 244 system? If it will and if i can get a locked board will be my deciding factors between the 2.

There is no PCI/AGP lock for MPX chipsets, so the max FSB you can get is around 150, depending on your parts. If you want a high OC with Tbreds/Bartons, you have to pin mod for a very high multiplyer.

An opteron duallie will spank an MPX duallie in the memory bandwidth dept.

I'm not in need of a large mem bandwidth this will be a solidworks/normal/folding/gamming machine so huge bandwidth i really dont need. Can u pin mod the chip to run at 200fsb so that the mobo thinks that and thus reads the chip as such and sets it to that divider then oc it from there?? Then lower or raise the multi acordinly? I'm not at all very familure with the working of SMP i know how they work just not what u can and can't do. I have heard of the nothing above 150 fsb though.

There's no dividers bigger than 1/4 on the MPX boards, so you can't run 200 FSB.

I have seen a few rare ones that get up to 160's or even 170's FSB, using very few PCI components, nvidia graphics, and SCSI hard drives to avoid most issues with PCI/AGP.

Better bet is to try for 17x150 using a socket mod.

Back