• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the BEST dual system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluediamond

I am planning on building a dual processor system in the next few months, it will be used for heavy graphic/video editing and other processor/graphic intensive programs. What will be the best setup that I can build for $5,000 to $10,000. Basically I want to know what would be your "dream" dual setup if cost wasn't a factor.

if you want to use windows, dual opterons is the best way to go. i don't know how expesive dual Itaniums would be, they are faster, but no one writes software that suports those extensions. so the fastest system would be itaniums, but the best usable system would be the dual opterons, especially with their new on die integrated memory controller. you no longer have to split the memory bandwith when you run two processors. i think its at 6.4 gb/s. for each processor. that's sweet.

What about the motherboard & memory? I would like to have 4 GB of memory (max with xp).

bluediamond said:
What about the motherboard & memory? I would like to have 4 GB of memory (max with xp).

If you go with Opteron, then you can install more than 4GB, but you would need to run Windows XP-64 to access all of it. It is currently only available in Beta form...

I can run win 2003 server and have more memory. I really don't want to run the beta xp 64. I don't think I am going to need more than 4 gb though.

What is the best AMD mobo for dual?
What is the best Intel mobo for dual?

the opterons in benchmarks by themselves beat galatin xeons in almost every benchmark one on one (losing in video editing). but, when using two or more processors, the opterons take a very big lead in every benchmark. if you're going to dually, go with opteron. when 64 bit rolls around, you'll have an incredible performance increase.

With that budget go quad ..... Might as well just leap into the next century if you have that much cash to spend. Not sure if ther eis a Quad AMD board but there should be one soon i think..

i've read three benchmarks that talk about the performance of four opterons on one board - that's where you get the most benefit because of the memory controller. i don't, however, know where to get one.

bluediamond said:
I can run win 2003 server and have more memory. I really don't want to run the beta xp 64. I don't think I am going to need more than 4 gb though.

What is the best AMD mobo for dual?
What is the best Intel mobo for dual?

There are no best dual mobos. It depends on what you are using it for.

Server: what is its main function? What is it serving up?

Workstation: Video, graphics, 3-D modeling, etc.

If you want bang for the buck Xeon workstation/local file server, get the Asus PC-DL.

I'm not as familure with the Opteron dual platforms. Server won't need the AGP slot. Workstation most certainly will.

This system will be for a workstation, mainly for graphics and video editing. What about memory with this setup, anything special?

AFAIK, both Xeon's and Opteron's need Registered memory, but it doesn't need to be ECC.

However, with that budget, you might as well go with ECC for optimal data integrity.

SimGuy said:
AFAIK, both Xeon's and Opteron's need Registered memory, but it doesn't need to be ECC.

However, with that budget, you might as well go with ECC for optimal data integrity.
Only Opterons require Reg/ECC. My dual Xeons are running on an Asus PC-DL with unbuffered non-ECC PC4000.

Here is what I am looking at building:

CPU: Opteron Model 246 (2.0 GHz) x2
Motherboard: Tyan AMD-8000 Chipset Server Mobo Model "Thunder K8W (S2885ANRF)"
Memory: 4 GB Reg/ECC Corsair PC3200 1GB x 4
HD: 74 GB 10,000 RPM SATA Raptor's
Optical: CD-RW & DVD-RW

Let me know what you think, chages, additions, etc.

Opteron 248 is better, if you really want the best.
Or even the 848... same clock speed, but you can use it in a 4 or 8 processor system later.

For video editing using uncompressed raw data, I seriously suggest LSI 320-2x pci-x 64/133 128mb cache with 2x18 or 36GB 15k u320 raid0 sys , 2x146GB 15k u320 raid0 data 9GB 10k for swapfile . And just add more drives to increase drive space and speed...scrap the raptors.

And good choice on the 4GB of memory :D

If you want the best the Dual Xeons pretty much would be the best choice especially since you mentioned it were to be used for video and graphical uses.
http://techreport.com/reviews/2003q3/workstation/index.x?pg=8
Newegg.com retail prices
opteron 240 $213
Xeon 2.66 $278

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030422/opteron-23.html
opteron 244 $462
xeon 2.8 $341
xeon 3.0 $475

http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000284
Opteron 248 $890
opteron 848 $1469

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1402705,00.asp